• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help, my excavator is sinking

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I know of a brand new 320 and log shear that went down in a bog.They spent $20,000 building roads and bringing in big equipment but they finally torched the log shear off and let it sink out of sight.

Norbert77

I pulled about 2.5 gallons of water from the fuel tank and about 2 quarts of water from the engine with the little dipstick oil change tool.

A wide track at d6 came in to pull it out. I rode on that d6, that monster doesn't stop for anything. That is the undercarriage i want on my next ezcavator. Lors of power amd lots of flotation.

Took about an hour and half of me driving full power, bucketing and him tugging. His cable wasn't the best I was out of line of sight in case it broke

Then he pulled my excavator all the way to the road.

Are excavator drives supposed to be a string as dozers? Is the chain the only difference?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm not an experienced operator by any means but I'd say that a dozer's drive (power-wise) will be stronger than an excavator. The drive function on an excavator is really only meant to move the machine around so it can dig. A dozer is built to push and pull, so travel power should be much more important.

Bearing in mind I have about 30 minutes seat time in dozers and a couple hours worth in an excavator. I could be completely wrong in my above post.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No you're correct 92U, an excavators drive line is not near as strong as a dozer for the reason you stated.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have seen excavators walk up some darn steep grades. Steeper than I would dare go up. They may not as strong as a dozer but they must have a pretty decent pull. This machine seemed lacking, at least on one side.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Everyone seems experienced it this An wanting to joke an sling silly ideas. But we've done this before with a big tractor I've had my fair share of this. But see there's one thing that now ones mentioned. Well when the devil reached up an grabbed ya from underneath An pulled ya down it formed a suction to the underneath of ur tractor An makes it worse when there bottomed out like this. Also ur machine is sure nuff useless when it's burryed up an the cab is in the mudd to cause it don't have Enuff power to swing while in a bind. The log trick possible would work but sometimes the suction is so great ya machine just don't have enuff power to get itself up. Ur gonna need another hoe to dig ya out an help pull. I'm
Sure ur aware too. Sometimes just need to bit the bullet An spend the money An get the big guns in

Norbert77

Oh, you have to be careful with the log trick when the back is hurried like mine was, If the log goes around it gets stuck behind the swivel housing then what...

So, which mini-midi excavator is most like a dozer? Or is a track-hoe what I want?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Oh, you have to be careful with the log trick when the bac
mine was, If the log goes around it gets stuck behind the swivel housing then what...

So, which mini-midi excavator is most like a dozer? Or is a track-hoe what I want?

It is always a good feeling when they get unstuck. If there is so little bearing that the log would go around with out lifting the machine it would not have stopped going down in the first place. I have never had a log pull under the machine more than a foot or so. The machines have always come forward but it has always been with a stuck logging dozer. In any event I'm glad you got it out. It sounds like the dozer pull was a good choice as it seems the one drive is weak enough that you needed a assist pull all the way out of the woods anyway. Keep us posted on what you find wrong with the drive on that side.

Z24O

The old Aussie farmers used to chuck a stick of dynamite or diesel/fertiliser charges under dozers stuck in mud/clay to break the suction then gun it as soon as the charge went off. They also used it to remove stumps, dig holes, loosen up gravel......you'd never get away with it these days though with OH&S and terrorism:eek: