• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help me with 580sm series 2 electrical/hydraulic

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
The machine has me baffled. Extendahoe and outriggers will on occasion fail to operate simultaneously. All other functions of the machine work properly at the time of failure. I've crawled all over and mostly under the thing cleaning connections and checking wires. Would someone happen to know if the valves or silenoids are somehow shared by those two functions. That's probably a stupid question.
Had this issue last winter pretty bad. Usually 15-20 minutes later the thing would start working all by itself. Now its doing it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deere500a

Same at work with the dash 3-M pilot but the dash 2 have wobble sticks no problem yet. Company has no idea- no plans to fix . Last time for me , I was running the ho pak so problem make do . Good luck somebody may have the answer.

fpgm04

J&d,
Need more information on how your machine is optioned.

Does it have pilot controls for the backhoe? Or does it have mechanical linkage levers (2 stick/wobble-stick, or 4 stick Case controls)?

I am going to venture a guess you might have pilot controls as the 2 functions you describe are controlled via electro-hydraulic valve controller on pilot controller configuration.

The controller is located under the vehicle on the chassis (I seem to recall on the RH side). It is a small plastic box about 2x3 inches with one connector going in to the middle of it and a LED. If you have auxiliary hydraulics (like for a hammer) on the backhoe then the controller will be a white sided box, if you don’t have auxiliary hydraulics then the box will be black sided.

Next question, do you have a service manual? The manual will describe how to interpret the flashes/codes and normal status indication flashed on controller’s LED.
If you can post some more information as to how the LED on the controller is blinking, or not, then there are many experts on this forum that may be able to assist further. If the LED is always off, then controller has lost power.

You should also inspect the controller for damage.

If you don’t have pilot controls, then to answer your question, there are no solenoids involved.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
FPGM04 gave great info. We have a couple series 2 machines that have done that. On one occasion the box was burned up. Also have had a few extendahoe switches fail, they don't go all the way back to off and the next time you turn on the backhoe hydraulics it won't activate the etxhoe/stabilizers as a safety precaution to prevent surprise movement. Sometimes you can pull up on the switches and twist them a bit to get them to work again for a while. I assume the stabilizer switches can fail the same way. The magic box should be on the LH framerail right above the rear axle.

j&d

Occupation
Oh you guys are awesome. So is this site. Your right I left out some info fpgm04. We do have pilot controls as well as auxillary (one way?) hydraulics to the rear. I do not have a service manual but have a print out of the pages describing the magic box with led. The light is doing the proper thing ....at least when I crawl under to check. I will check again the next time it fails. I got so much dielectric grease on connections under there its getting pretty slimey so I slide under real easy. :)
Deeretracks mentioned the swithes...and I think that has merit. I was leaning toward some safety feature but didnt know what....Those switches get used alot and I'll check that out. I now have some options.
Thank you all.
Jeff

fpgm04

Jeff,
If you are under the machine to catch the LED code during the failure event, also get the 8 digit part number from the controller. (There are a few variants of controller part numbers that have been implemented overtime and knowing your specific part number might help with resolution of your issue)

As you have auxiliary hydraulics on the backhoe, I would also guess when you lose ehoe and stabilizers simultaneously, you will also lose auxiliary function, but that is only a guess. (To your original question the white box controller you have controls 3 functions: ehoe, stabilizers, and auxiliary hydraulics. So as you say you are simultaneously loosing ehoe and stabilizers, I would suspect the auxiliary is going to follow suit.)

If you can attempt to operate the auxiliary when the other failure occurs, it might also help steer the investigation. (even if you don’t have an auxiliary implement attached, you will probably hear the pump change pitch when attempting to operate the auxiliary, assuming the valve controller is working)

As Deeretracks stated, a stuck or damaged switch could also trip into logic for unintended operation, so certainly check “all” of the switches (ehoe, stabilizer, and aux) if/when the issue reappears.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
On ours the AUX circuit would still work just fine even though the stabilizers and ext.hoe were dead. All of our machines had HKX aux kits installed by the dealer instead of the OEM option for some reason.

j&d

Occupation
Oh I almost can't wait for the thing to fail again so I can fix it.....almost. I enjoy a challenge but this has been frustrating cause its so intermittent. The thing worked perfect all day and will probably not fail for quite some time again...who knows. I enjoy learning from more experienced and intelligent people. I get some time I may just start replacing switches and controller boxes....its better than sitting....and much less frustrating. I now have a sneaking suspicion its the extendahoe switches. But again I'm just guessing....we'll see.
Thanks again!
Jeff