• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help in installing injectors in a 3304 PC

Bryant_955L

It's my first time installing injectors in a 3304 PC motor (955L). I have no diagrams that show how to install the injectors and I believe they were installed wrong from before. It seems like the injector wasn't seated in the spline portion of the PC chamber. I also did an experiment dropping the injector tip down into the PC chamber. By my simple investigation it seems the injector assembly needs to seat into the spline section at least 3/16". I am hoping I can get help on how to properly seat the injectors into the PC chamber.

Last edited:

Bob/Ont

Bryant, You need to thread the injector onto the holder hand tight, drop in down the splines and then install the nut and torque to 100 Lb Ft then install the fuel line. There is an oring on the nut and a seal under the fuel line.
Later Bob

overworked

Go to 3306pc in shop talk, KS posted a very nice breakdown from the book it should help you out, it has the spec and timing of the glow plugs.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Go to 3306pc in shop talk, KS posted a very nice breakdown from the book it should help you out, it has the spec and timing of the glow plugs.

Had to check those out, That was on 11/03/14 if that helps find them. If you need a better copy I could try sending them by private message.

Bryant_955L

My injector body seem like they sit on top of the splines which are on the inside of the PC chamber. I put some no-ox on the splines of the body and my indication is they do not drop down into the splines of the PC. When I pulled them out originally the injector body just came out. Plus I am worried about the end coming off and dropping down to the bottom of the PC chamber.

Bob/Ont

Bryant, fear not it has a seat on the bottom to stop it. Can you thread the nozzle onto the holder or are the threads damaged? You need to clean up the splines on the holder and inside the precup. Use wire wheel on the holder and if it will not fit into the precup you can tap it in GENTELY a pre combustion chamber tool would be good too.
Later Bob

Bryant_955L

Are the injector bodies splines suppose to slip into the splines of the PC? (easily) Mine do not slide in. This kind of reminds me of putting a stud bolt on a axle flange. You are to align the splines and then press the stud in with a nut. I don't want to force it into place.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The splines should slide easily together. You shouldn't have to force it.

Kind of sounds like someone has buggered the splines on the holder and/or inside the PreChamber. I'd be getting a good light down inside the PreChamber to inspect the splines. Is it rusty or carboned up?

Bryant_955L

I Used a wire brush and it worked! My injector body slides easily down into the splines of the PC. Thanks for the suggestions and the info. It simply is amazing how the response and given information here on this forum can save you so much time and give you confidence (for a beginner) to proceed. Again thanks for responding and helping me again. This is a great help.