• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help identifying missing part on 1983 Ford 555

cannedman

Occupation
Retired Information Systems Manager
I purchased a Ford 555 and am in the process of changing all fluids and filters. In doing so I found a bolt that has been twisted off on the front frame. There has been something there and I have no idea what and am hoping someone can tell me what has been there from the pictures.

TIA

Attachments

• DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 749
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 762
  • DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0019.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 816
  • DSCN0020.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 751

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That looks like the front axle support and framework of a 555A. Somebody has lost some parts, those rectangular slotted holes are supposed to have special washers in them to keep frame and axle support joined together and restrict movement of the joint. I would also look closely at the bolt/nuts that join front of engine to front axle support.

See items 3, 4, and 5 in diagram for needed washers/bolts.

Ford 555A frame.gif

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Yep great answer I used to have a 1984 nothing there but the factory bolt and washer.good luck with your project.

DGODGR

The bolts on the side are what keeps the front end on the machine so....there very important and I would not use the machine until you get that repaired. The holes at the front of the machine (below the grill) are for chin weights. These can be added to aid in balancing the machine better. They usually are included equipment if your machine is equipped with the "xtravator" option (the extendable dipper or, as Case made popular, "extendahoe"). The same goes for the capped holes on the side of the chin too.

cannedman

Occupation
I have the bolts ordered and I will not use it until I get them replaced. The hoe does have the extendahoe. I will try and find some weights for the unit.

Thank you for your reply and have a great day.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Be sure and check the bolts that connect front of engine block to that axle carrier. If I remember correctly, there was one or two bolts/nuts on each side as well as a tapered stud on each side with a nut to prevent any movement. I some shade tree would leave those special washers off the frame connection, they may have cobbled up the engine block/axle carrier connection as well. Heck, for that matter, I'd crawl all over that rig looking for things that are out of order.

cannedman

Occupation
Thanks Willie59 I am having a mechanic go thru the whole machine.

damato333

I have a 1976 Ford 555d. I need to take the oil pan off. In the front of the backhoe theres a peice of metal that covers the oil pan about two inches and the oil pan won't come out because of this peice of metal. Anyone know how to get the oil pan out on a 555d?