• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help identifying engine

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
D2C7AD78-A0FA-487A-AF06-4B4AA5B9FF28.jpeg Normally don’t start threads. Need help identifying this engine. I think it’s a marine engine due to the close proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

Some penetrating oil and hopefully I can get it to turn over.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Simple! It is a crustifarious secretion with crab stuffing.
I'm not even sure which end is up. Four cylinder, overhead valve.

Coaldust

Occupation
I was just joking around, but got to thinking more about this rusty stain on the beach. It has some of the characteristics of a Atlas-Imperial such as the individual cylinder heads and the large openings in the lower crankcase.

I don’t see any other antique three cylinder diesel marine engine options of this size and vintage. Old Tacoma Marine has some info.

Coaldust

Occupation
Can’t find any old info on ship wrecks at this spot. The entire area was part of the Parker Ranch before Boise Cascade purchased the land in the 70’s for what is now the Waikoloa Resort.

The compressor theory is intriguing. The closest natural gas source is 3500 miles away and there hasn’t been any heavy industry or farming (besides beef) on the Kohala coast. No sugar cane.

The Waikoloa area had a large military presence after WWII. The Former Waikoloa Maneuver Area is near by. It could easily be a relic from that time period.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
you gotta wonder how something that heavy ever washes up on a beach.

But then if you've ever turned your back on the ocean and been pile-drived by a wave, you kinda know the answer.

I once found a 350 Chevy block and crank in the middle of the woods while out mountain biking. Always wondered how that ended up way out there?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I once found a 350 Chevy block and crank in the middle of the woods while out mountain biking. Always wondered how that ended up way out there?
Some wife was bitching about the eyesore, so her husband toted it way out in the woods where he was pretty sure she wouldn't find it.
I won't say how it is I'm so sure about that.

cw4Bray

Just guessing and probably way off base. Four valves per cylinder. Maybe a Detroit 3-53 series ? It looks like a generator on the one end and maybe an air compressor for starting large diesels, an anchor winch on the other end or a bilge pump / fire pump.

Coaldust

Occupation
I forgot about this. I talked to the nice fella at Tacoma Marine, who specializes in Old Atlas-Imperials. He’s probably the best resource in the world on them.
After chatting with him, I’m convinced it’s an Atlas-Imperial. I found a cast part number on an intact cover that matched up to a common part number in three different parts manuals. But, couldn’t identify the specific model. Plus, being a west-coast Seattle made engine, in Hawaii made sense. Especially since quite a few old wooden, west-coast boats powered by Altas engines ended up in Hawaii.

Coaldust

Occupation
BTW, That’s not a gen-set. That thing that looks like a rotor is a planetary transmission. It’s got a short section of bronze prop shaft attached. At first glance, I thought it was a generator rotor, as well.