• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help identify CAT marine engine please

ricardo mann

hi sorry to but in on this i am having a lot of trouble identifying my cat 3208t marine engine . no data tags on rockers .i can not find a stamped no on the block . is there a number on the injector pump? can not find tags . can anybody on hear help thanks Ricky

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Hi, Ricky.

I copied your post here, to its own thread, so that hopefully it'll get a little more attention and somebody will be able to help you out. While we have forestry, agricultural, transportation forums, etc., we don't really have one for marine applications, so this is probably the best place to ask.

And welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. :)

CodyF

Hi Ricky,
The engine identification tag is usually located near the front of the engine on the raised area of the cylinder block in front of the fuel pump. Hopefully that helps a little.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is the engine hooked up to a Cat Marine transmission..? If so then does the transmission have a Serial Number plate because, guess what, it's the same as the engine Serial Number ..........

Try RH side of block at rear next to flywheel housing or LH side of block at front next to gear group housing for Serial Numbers. Even if you can't find a plate the Serial Number was generally hand-stamped on the block before the S/N plate was fixed in position. Look for the remains of 2 hollow rivets about maybe 2-3" apart, that's what would have fixed the plate in place. Fingers crossed you will find a number. It should be either 1Zxxxx or 75Vxxxx, those were the 2 serial Number prefixes for a 3208 Marine engine.

Last edited:

ricardo mann

Hi thanks for the info i still cannot fi any no or data the only no i can find is on the injector pump 9n375702211998 ? thanks ricky

Nige

Right - the fact it has a turbo has straight away reduced the possibilities from 8 to 4 (the other 4 options were naturally aspirated engines).................
Let's see if we can reduce the odds a bit more. In your photo IMG_3377 I can see a Part Number cast on to the turbo compressor housing. What is that number, 8N1069 or 9Y7758..?

Nige

Good man. That means the Turbo Gp is an 8N-0582 and reduces the engine arrangement options from 4 to 2. Both are 75V-prefix: -

8N-0529 which was built from 75V4283-75V5249.
8N-2543 which was built from 75V5250-75V7344.

OK, what identifies it is the expansion tank for the cooling system - see diagram below. One engine arrangement has it, the other engine does not. Your engine does, it's clearly visible on at least 3 of your photos.

Therefore it is my considered opinion that your engine is Arrangement Number 8N-2543 and has a Serial Number somewhere between 75V05250 and 75V07344. That should be sufficient to get parts and service information for it which I assume is your aim.

3208 Marine Exp Tank.png

Last edited:

ricardo mann

sorry i gave you the wrong no. this is the number from tag just found on the turbo. numbers on tag are 8N10 8 8N1728
can not se the 5th number so left a space thanks RickyIMG_4058.jpg

Nige

No worries, and it makes no difference. I was not asking about the turbo Part Number itself but actually about the number cast into the turbo compressor housing. I could see it on your photo - it sticks out like a sore thumb. The compressor housing alone is 8N-1069. Your tag carries the Part Number 8N-1068 which is the complete Turbo. 8N-1068 in turn is then part of the 8N-0582 Turbo Group that I mentioned above. All the data I gave in post #13 above is therefore still correct.

Last edited:

ricardo mann

Hi i don't know the bhp of the engines . this is the reason of this identification . the boats were built 1980 to 85 .this one is 1980. the bhp rating in that year was 260 hp- 320 hp. if it is 260 bhp i want to raise it to 320 . if i can get id number or AR no this is a reference point for me. thanks Ricky

lantraxco

That's a big azz turbo for a 3208, I'm guessing upper end of the scale. CAT service manager once told me the 3208 was able to put out up to 425hp. I responded "Not with me standing anywhere near it!"

Nige

It's amazing what you can get out of an engine if you cram enough air and fuel into it.......

Case in point. We have Cat 3516 machine engines generally rated around 2000 BHP, the same basic engine in our emergency generator sets is rated at 3750 BHP.