• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help! i am over my head working on a pond

tailboardtech

ok so here is the situation i have a pond at my parents farm that the previous owners "fixed" well its washed out, they used a piece of 6'' pipe for the overflow I bought some 12 in HDPE pipe and an elbow, i no i need to install a weep wall around the pipe but where in the dam should i put it i am guessing in the center of the dam? and is concrete ok to use? also another question i have is i have dug out the area and it is still just as wet as if i never touched it and i am afraid the water is just going to seep out underneath. if anybody can help it would be greatly appricated.

as you can tell i have never worked on a pond before :eek:

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
was the core of the dam made of clay?

Sounds like your water may be coming between the dam and origional grade, if so i have trenched 90mil membrane in and sealed them up before.

what were you going to use the concrete for? if your using an anti-seep colar, and dualwall corigated pipe will be very dificult to work with, i would suggest 12" smooth something like sdr21 would work.

what type of runofff (how many acres) how high is your freeboard and what are you useing for an emergency spillway? also how many surface acres is it?

you might post up a google earth shot of it would help greatly, if you cant get one up just PM me with your location and ill try to get one posted up

EDIT: and as far as the location of the anti-seep colar, it really dosent matter as long as its in the dam but yeah in the center of the core would be preffered though.

Pj

Last edited:

tailboardtech

the original dam was made of the soil around here it does have a really high clay content, but i have had 20 tons of clean clay hauled in

i was going to use the concrete as the anti seep collar

the pond was originally created to supply a spring house it is approx 30'x50'X5' math wise it comes out as approx 56000 gals of water and its flowing about 5 gals a minute. i wasn't going to worry to much about a spillway since it is spring fed and the way the land is any runoff on the field runs down to the stream below the pond.

and thank you very much!