• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help finding a used crane?

cwhirly

Are there online or published listings anyone can recommend?

How about national resellers?

I'm looking for something made by any of the following maufactuers: coles, katto, tudanou or kubiko.
machinerytrader.com has a bunch of listings but nothing from the above makers.

any leads welcome!

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
edit - oops, machnerytrader.com does have quite a few, just the search page didn't like my spelling or something.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that two of those makes are supposed to be "Kato", and "Tadano". I've never seen a "Coles", but google has. What's the other one?

cwhirly

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that two of those makes are supposed to be "Kato", and "Tadano". I've never seen a "Coles", but google has. What's the other one?

Thanks for the catch! ... it wasn't really my spelling ;)

Check, that's Kato and Tadano and Coles (from Germany I think), as for kubiko.. maybe an overseas spelling? Maybe no such thing?

To re-frame the search, the maker names were passed on to me as german made cranes (the Coles) and and something Japanese made.
What other Japanese or german crane makers are there? Looking for something over 25tons and these were the makers passed on to me. Or else just drop maker preference. What's best for 25ton and 40ton cranes? or isn't there much difference?

...japan made cranes (1980 to 1995) with capacity of 25 tons and also coles 45 ton (1975-1990) we're the leads I was given.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Kato actually makes a mobile crane? I had no idea. Kato excavators were a flood on the market in the 80's. They were semi-tough till Cat, Komatsu. Deere and the rest got tough and pushed Kato out the door....stage left! Kato never had an american rep. I can only hope they have a new salesman for a Kato crane.....has to have a new bag of hat's and stickers to keep the field geeks happy, cause they have nothing else!

cwhirly

Thanks for the info insleyboy.

Machinerytrader.com has very few 25 ton Kato or Tadano cranes with US listings, and cranenetwork.com has only one, but it's in Finland or somewhere! Are there any other Japanese makers that have larger footprints in the US? What about other national listing of cranes? How best to find a 25 ton Japanese crane on the US market?

Thanks ya'all

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You might try Sumitomo which is also Link-Belt. Kobelco also makes cranes. These two are Japanese.

I likes the Lieberr and Demag unit for european made cranes.

Manitowoc is still the top for really large American made cranes.

cwhirly

You might try Sumitomo which is also Link-Belt. Kobelco also makes cranes. These two are Japanese.

I likes the Lieberr and Demag unit for european made cranes.

Manitowoc is still the top for really large American made cranes.

Thanks for the leads!

Machinerytrader.com comes up short on listings again, nothing around 25 tons. Are there any large commercial resellers that I should be know?

Local market is SF area, but anywhere US is good.

Occupation
Equipment Sales
Tadano is Japanese but they also have a plant in Texas. Ironically we've got an '07 Tadano 20ton demo unit in our yard thats for sale.

As far as German cranes go there is always Atlas. They do more knuckle pickers than stiff booms but then again there are about 30 different divisions of Atlas. Terex Cranes out of Wilmington have a whole array of stiff booms that might suite your needs.