• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help Choosing Man Lift

alanmeg

I have found schematics from there, but they aren't legible. I have a mess of wiring that someone modified to make things work from the basket only, and I was hoping to find schematics with wire numbers and such that I can read and wire it back to full potential. Been working with it a while now almost hand sketched my own set of drawings, but I am still having small isues particularly with the brakes and drive motor controls).

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If the download versions aren't legible, you probably should contact Genie or a Genie distributor and get better copies.

I saw this at the download page, haven't called this number though

Select manuals are available for online viewing only. If you require a printed version please contact Sycamore Enterprises at (812)-477-2266.

Is yours a DC Electric model? What issues are you having with drive motors and brakes?

alanmeg

When I called Terex on Friday, they referred me to Sycamore Enterprises as well, but I didn't get a chance to contact them during business hours yet. For now, I re-wired the main power circuit such that everything works except some of the limit switches and the brakes. Primarily, I still need to track down which wire should control the brakes..they don't work at all yet, but they did function when I applied power directly to the solenoid...I need to isolate the circtuit and track down where it goes in the panel box.
The drive issue was simply a "brain fart" as I forgot to reconnnect the hot wire on the solenoid.

Tell you what, I was really confused for a while, since there were so many wires disconnected, obvious patches, and things were really "rigged" when I started tracking down wires. Hence, I pretty much drew up my own (temp) schematics and wired it up the way I knew things would work...at least wherever I was able to figure out where wires were terminated on both ends. Hopefully I can obtain schematics and wire things up how they should be at some point.

alanmeg

Forgot to answer your question, it is a dual fuel(with a missing LP circuit) Simon Silver Eagle Model 32/21 Serial #V3730.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hmm, not disagreeing with ya, but the website shows the V serial # prefix to be an electric machine. I see a link for VG serial # parts manual, are they possibly the same, maybe? :beatsme

alanmeg

Just looked again...there is definitively no space between where any letter/number can fit within the V3730. Good observation though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Don't know that I can be much help to ya, can't seem to find the correct manuals for your machine at the Genie website. I've noticed some of the Terex family machines don't have info there for download.

illusion

Hello Friends,

Which of the foll. 3 machines would you suggest for a good RT scissor:

JLG 500 RTS Genie GS 5390 Skyjack 9250

Please comment in terms of durability and robust design and other vital factors like load capacity ... thanks in advance

ohpoppy

can I use a manlift such as Genie on a 30% grade

I read in the post that no grade more then 5% will be possible..I need a unit that will allow a height of 40' on a 30% or a little more grade. A genie S65 with 4 wheel drive will facilitate the grade but do I understand it won't lift?? Thanks, Bob

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum ohpoppy. :usa

I would be reluctant to advise just what angle of slope is acceptable to operate a lift as every degree of angle from level affects stability of machine as well as stress on components such as wheel and swing motors and brakes. And probably the most dangerous aspect of working out of level is the change in axis of center of rotation which affects the way counterweight balances machine. I recall one incident where two workers were operating a 60 ft lift on a slope similar to what you describe, working on the side of a building, machine parallel with building, and counterweight on downhill side. They raised the boom high enough, with rotation axis leaning to downhill side, counterweight end, and the machine went over backwards killing both workers.

Many machines will continue to operate on angle of more that 5 degrees, some will lock out functions when you have machine at 5 degrees out of level, but on all lifts that I'm aware of the tilt alarm comes on at 5 degrees warning the operator that he's living dangerously. Although a machine my operate in the situation you've described, I would not advise it because there are too many things that can go wrong and upset the machine.

ohpoppy

what kind of equipment would be safe?? Maybe tThe Genie can be leveled before performing work..is that what people do and if so..do any of these machines have feet that enable such leveling without too much differiculty? Bottle jacks and wooden blocks can be time consuming. Thanks for the advise...Bob in response to below

I would be reluctant to advise just what angle of slope is acceptable to operate a lift as every degree of angle from level affects stability of machine as well as stress on components such as wheel and swing motors and brakes. And probably the most dangerous aspect of working out of level is the change in axis of center of rotation which affects the way counterweight balances machine. I recall one incident where two workers were operating a 60 ft lift on a slope similar to what you describe, working on the side of a building, machine parallel with building, and counterweight on downhill side. They raised the boom high enough, with rotation axis leaning to downhill side, counterweight end, and the machine went over backwards killing both workers.

Many machines will continue to operate on angle of more that 5 degrees, some will lock out functions when you have machine at 5 degrees out of level, but on all lifts that I'm aware of the tilt alarm comes on at 5 degrees warning the operator that he's living dangerously. Although a machine my operate in the situation you've described, I would not advise it because there are too many things that can go wrong and upset the machine.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, you have yet to give a mental picture of what you need to do with the machine aside from work it on a 30% (+/_) grade. Let me try to be as clear as I can about this; it's not that practically any brand manlift can't be made to operate and/or perform in those conditions, it's just 1) no manufacturer will state in writing or otherwise that machine can be operated outside of level for legal liability reasons, 2) no individual in public forum would advise differently for same legal liability reasons, and 3) it's extremely unsafe as it requires very skilled personnel that fully understand all the aspects of machine operating characteristics and limitations. Kinda like having it on the side of a hill and saying to ones self "I think it would do this", just to get it up in the air and it flip over. A bit unforgiving at that point to say "well, I guess it won't do that".

With all this said, creative individuals will use all manner of skill and intuition to get a task done. After all, folks manage to get three story condos built on mountain sides all the time. Just how they do it, I have no idea as that's not my area of expertise. I have seen guys use manlifts on a hill/slope with machine oriented with drive direction perpendicular to work being done with platform uphill and counterweight down hill, but I would not advise raising the boom more than 30 to 40 degrees or machine is subject to flip backwards. Likewise, orienting machine with drive direction perpendicular to work with platform down hill and counterweight uphill is sensitive to load on boom from either load in platform or load of extended boom which could cause it to rapidly crash forward with such force to cause serious injury or death.

I'm saying it shouldn't be done, not saying it can't be done, but it may take some skilled placement and setup of machine on pads or substantial cribbing that is properly placed or do some excavating to aid in getting machine in a more level configuration. As for outriggers, I can't think of many manlifts that offer outriggers. There are some out there, but being a former crane operator, even setting up a machine with outriggers on slopes is a tricky thing that can't be done in a haphazard manner as improper or inadequate placement of outrigger cribbing can result in sudden and catastrophic failure.

ohpoppy

Very well thought out detailed response..I completely understand and appreciate you telling me. I expected these facts were true but wanted a expert perspective anyway. I need to work on a large building..Thanks, Bob

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Very well thought out detailed response..I completely understand and appreciate you telling me. I expected these facts were true but wanted a expert perspective anyway. I need to work on a large building..Thanks, Bob

I just hope I was able to help ohpoppy. Like I said, men build things in tough places all the time, only you would be able to look at your situation and determine what would be appropriate means of accomplishing task. I can only warn you of the limitations of aerial machines to give you some info to help make an informed decision as with aerial lifts, and any machine for that matter, things can go from bad to worse faster than you can blink an eye.

Here's an example for ya. This particular customer called me out to a jobsite to work on a machine he owned. Once I saw the terrain, and the type of machine they were using, I warned them very strongly to be extremely cautious using the machine on the jobsite, especially going up and down driveway grades. I told them I wouldn't do it myself without having machine tethered to some other substantial helper machine. About a year later, I was called to the job site to investigate this incident and do some repairs to the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxkDMl9E6A

ohpoppy

From the look of the grade I wouldn't expect problems instictively except for being on the loose stone. It would seem even a 4 wheel drive machine would not be secure on loose stone considering 12,000+ lbs. Is the danger on the grade (if it were just cement under 4 wheels) the ability of the brakes/traction to hold or is it the possiblility that the balance point being altered due to the position of the bucket could cause improper contact of 2 wheels cutting the hold in half.

do most machines have 4 wheel brakes??I also wonder if due to the heavy weight if the tires have a tendency not to grip causing the machine to slide with locked wheels. In my case, the machine would be on grass..30% grade. I sense a 2 wheel drive machine wouldn't be able to climb up, tires would spin. I'm concerned since there is a possibilty I could make the purchase and commitment and find the unit stuck at the bottom of the hill or even worse..sliding down it uncontrollibly. A pragmatic approach may be differicult working with 12,000 lbs. Dangers may be distroying the building and of course human life. Tell me..will a 2 wheel drive properly balanced with arm folded tightly drive up a 30% grade? When in place will it slip downward if extra care is taken keeping all systems tightly in, logically positioned, while reaching upward extremely slowly while monitoring changes to balance and weight distribution of the wheels.

heavylift

aerialworkplatform.net/products.php

all sorts of outrigger models some with 45% gradeability .

might give them a call to see how much it will level. another thing to consider is the outrigger pad needs to be fairly level as it will slide down hill..

heavylift

judging by the specs and photos it appears that it may raise about 2 feet off the ground ... so it would appear to be able to work on a slope ... just can't say to what degree... best thing is to call the maker of the lift :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, a number of things to consider. You say you need to work a height of about 40 feet. If you need to work at 40 ft, I would suggest a 60 footer at least as a 40 footer would have to be straight up and fully extended to achieve that, and you won't be able to boom around much to reach other close by spots as you're maxed out already.

And if you're working on rough terrain, you would not want a 2wd, you need a 4wd with articulating axle. If you don't get that, you're wasting your money. Most machines that I have worked on only have brakes on the wheels that have drive motors, so if it's 2wd you only have 2 brakes. Brakes on most machines are spring applied and hydraulic pressure release. Once you let go of the drive lever the brakes are applied and locked. There are some odd machines out there that use driveline brake or old fashioned brake drums at wheels, but JLG and Genie use spring applied multi disk brake packs on the drive motors.

Going up and down grades is always tricky with these machines. 2wd rigid frame machines being most problematic, 4wd with articulating steer axle performing the best. But changes in terrain, potholes, gravel, slippery traction conditions, many things can affect gradeablility of machines. Grass? Even worse, a grass slope? Probably the worst terrain to travel on a manlift, up or down. If that grass is just the least bit damp it's Katy bar the door get the kids and the dog out of the way I'm coming through. If you are on solid terrain going uphill, and it's too steep, always a chance it will stall drive motors via relief valves, or tires spin. Then you would have to go back down. Going down a too steep grade could pop open counterbalance valves on motor and cause it to move too fast, to which operator would release drive and engage brakes, sudden lock of brakes could cause it to skid to a stop.

Probably the biggest danger in a manlift out of control and moving at speed on a slope, or flat ground for that matter, is a pothole or bump. This can cause the boom to react with violent force that will seriously hurt or even kill the operator. Which is why under no circumstances should one operate a manlift without wearing full body harness.

As for what percent grade one could/should be able to climb, don't really know, I only know when it looks steep, I get nervous about it. One radical way of looking at it, say it's a grass slope. Well, imagine driving a 2wd pickup truck with a load up that hill. If it won't make it, don't even think about it with a manlift.

The tow behind machines that heavylift linked to may be an option. They are relatively light weight, and hooked to the back of a 4wd truck, might be able to safely maneuver it to a work position. I do know those type machines have to be level to operate. They have sensors that won't let them operate unless the outriggers are able to get the machine level.