• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help! Cat 246D LH Joystick

I have a 2016 Cat 246D. When I turn the machine on, everything turns on great. There is a flashing exclamation point and no beeping when starting. After I start it, and remove the parking brake, whenever I touch the LH joystick....it starts beeping. Then it will stop as soon as I let go of the LH joystick. It does not do this with the RH joystick. I can move my bucket around and no problems and no beeping. But as soon as I touch the LH joystick, it beeps and after about an hour of this beeping, I go insane. Anybody have any help on this. I've tried to follow the wiring everywhere to ensure that the wiring was all connected properly. Hydraulic oil is up to the green. I've done the computer on it and it is showing no errors in the ECM. I've also switched the joystick out for another one, and it still beeps. Please help!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have a 2016 Cat 246D.
Doesn't help much because there are 14 different models of 246D. Please post a Serial number so we know exactly which one you have.
I've done the computer on it and it is showing no errors in the ECM
Please elaborate. External computer.? Cat ET or generic diagnostic software.?

Also please post a photo of the instrument panel in the upper RH corner of the cab.

Doesn't help much because there are 14 different models of 246D. Please post a Serial number so we know exactly which one you have.

Please elaborate. External computer.? Cat ET or generic diagnostic software.?

Also please post a photo of the instrument panel in the upper RH corner of the cab.
Thank you so much for helping me! The serial number is CAT0246DKBYF02719
We use Jaltest to troubleshoot our machinery, but this one doesn't show up with any codes in the ECM to look at. It's the oddest thing. We connect it to connector by the fuse panel.
Please see the attached photo for the instrument panel. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_093311097.jpg
    IMG_20240229_093311097.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240229_093159669.jpg
    IMG_20240229_093159669.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We use Jaltest to troubleshoot our machinery
Has been known many times to steer people wrong when diagnosing Cat electronics. There is another thread going right now on a D5G tractor producing a similar issue with Jaltest software, although in that case it's producing Codes that don't apply to the particular machine rather than your case of not seeing anything.

Unfortunately you have the type of RH panel that can't be used to read Diagnostic Codes. That was another possibility.

TBH the only option I see is to hook Cat ET up to it to read the Diagnostic Codes/Events. This is not necessarily a dealer job if you can find a local independent mechanic who has ET. Ask whoever you get to look at it to download a pdf copy of the Product Status Report (PSR) both when he starts and again just before he disconnects, so that you can have "before" & "after" records.

To me it sounds like the travel alarm?
I'll take a look at that. I never thought of that. I called Cat to have them come to my shop and use their ET. They said they would get back to me with a time and then never called back. Kind of frustrating. But if that fixes it, that would be amazing!

Make sure you come back and give feedback after pulling the Codes. Procedures are available to troubleshoot pretty much every code they can find, and are cheaper than loading the parts cannon........
Nige, Do you have an electrical schematic for this machine. I'm thinking I have a bad ground by the alternator. I had a couple wires hanging around after I switched out the fuel pump and alternator. I thought I put them all back where they were supposed to go, but this may be the reason. Thanks for any help!

You're right. Its definitely not the travel alarm. Its coming from inside the cab. I found the travel alarm and it is in the back of the skid steer. I'm working on the alternator right now. It has a little ground that was connected to it. If I'm looking at the electrical schematic for it, it shouldn't have that wire going to it. I'm hoping thats the fix. I'll report back.

My question would be if it has always beeped the way it is doing now, or if this is something that has started recently.? Also it ought to be easy to identify if the beep is coming from the instrument panel alarm in the cab or from the travel/backup alarm located outside the cab.
Do you think it would have anything to do with the speed sensor? We changed the engine out of this machine and put a new one in it.

Did this problem start immediately after the installation of the replacement engine.?
The only thing I can think of is that when we took the engine out, with the hydraulic pump, it must have messed with the speed sensor. Making one of them not work as well or short. As you drive the skid steer its not as smooth as it probably should be and is at times abrupt. They are $65 a piece online...maybe its worth replacing both of them and praying that it fixes it?