• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help - Case W11B Brakes

timm9

Hi,

I have a Case W11B I use for snow removal. In the last series of storms, all four brakes locked up. After checking all of the brakes lines for any damage (i.e. crimped, crushed) and finding none I assumed the master was failing. After installing the new master cylinder (and bleeding, etc.) the problem still remains. Even after bleeding the lines, the brakes are still rubbing like the pressure will not release. There is another storm on the way and I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!

Tim

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Could be a problem with the treadle valve - sticky pedal or plunger under the pedal.

If you raise the front axle, clamp off the fluid supply , open the bleeders - front wheels should turn.
If you do this & wheels still wont turn, as they should, you probably have siezed caliper pistons....... snow + salt = rust ???
Sorry haven't had much to do with that cold white stuff .....

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I ran a w11 for years and the brakes were the weakest link in the machine. and I know that I had that problem, but for the life of me I cant remember what the mechanic did to fix it. my biggest problem was the guys that would haul it on the lowbed, the would throw a chain over the from axle to tie it down and crush the brake lines.
as im sitting here typing im thinking that there might be adjusters inside the front wheel to tighten/slacken the brakes. have you tried to bake off the brakes? and is the problem still there after the machine has had a chance to thaw out? could be ice build up. i seem to remember having that problem once ot twice as well.

timm9

Hi All!

Thank you for the responses. The brakes on the W11B are hydraulic and not air like the W17 and larger case units. I have also 'backed' off the shoes at each wheel, which did not have any effect. I have again traced every brake line looking for any potential damage with no luck. Also, I can find no additional valves, micor valves, etc. This unit has been run quite a bit with the now over 84 inches of snow we have received this season. When the brakes first started to give us issues it was a sunny day (above freezing) and had been running for 7 or 8 hours. I'm going to remove the power unit in front of the master and take it to be bench tested at a shop an hour and a half away. Any additional wisdom would be awesome! Strangely enough, when the brakes first locked up we bleed each brake line at the wheels and still could not get the pressure to back off...

Thanks!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
DOHHH! ...... been a while since I've seen a w11B :eek: :pointhead
If there is a problem with the power valve pressurizing the master cyl the test I described above should still proove the problem exists there.
Highly unlikely the problem exists in the drums.

Is there any free travel at the brake pedal?
It is possible the adjustment on the pushrod at brake pedal has come adrift?