• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help ascertain bolt size, JCB 1550B

Coytee

I've had this probably 20+ years. I actually have a service manual for it. However, the manual that I have, doesn't evidently, go into this small detail.

The Hydraulic tanks are saddled on the right & left side of the front of machine. The pump is fed from one of the tanks. INSIDE that tank, is a pre-screener filter. My book makes no reference to this AT ALL (as best I can tell). One/two fluid changes ago, I was talking to the dealer and he asked if I wanted to replace the pre-screen in the tank. I had NO idea what he was talking about, so yes.

Honestly, that's been 2-3 years ago. A week ago, the main hydraulic hose (from pump to loader valve) sprung a leak so had to get it off. Figured it would be good time to take the sides off the tank(s) and replace the gaskets (dry rotting) AND finally replace that silly screen filter.

Cutting to the chase, I get in there, drain the fluid out..... and there is NO filter in there. There is a place for it and it has a threaded receiver in there. Guessing a bit, it appears that it will take around 4 1/2" bolt to hold the screen filter in place. The problem is, there is no bolt already in there for me to use or measure against.

I've got in my hands (I might butcher this so be gentle) anyway, I've got a 10mm British thread (BSE?), a 10mm metric and a third one (don't recall its sizing)

One of them will 'catch' one/two threads then stops. The other two seem to be just a touch too thick. I'm going through my manual again, can't find anything yet.... going to keep looking but thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know the thread and bolt size used to hold the screen filter that is INSIDE the hydraulic tank?

I'd be willing to let you take tomorrow off from work with the right answer!!!