• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help-580CK front spindle bearings!

Madi

Trying to change upper/lower needle & thrust bearings on case backhoe. Removed wheel & nut from steering arm; was told wheel spindle would come apart. A little pounding/prying isn't helping. Any advice... or should I get a bigger hammer & pry bar? (Do I need to remove anything else?) Some experienced input would be appreciated! Snow is on it's way....ugh.

dwloop

Looks like you remove the top nut and it drops out??? I have not had the arm off of mine... Looks the same though. I would leave the nut loosened on top of the spindle to keep from damaging the threads and try to drive it down...

001CSC-147952.gif

HTH

Dave

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
Heat on the arm may help. Dont think there is room for a puler unless thrust beering is shot. Its a tapered spline. Mudpile

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Take the Castled nut off, flip it over, and screw it back on until nut is flush with end of threaded shaft. Shaft is tapered, will be very snug, but only has to move a fraction to break free. Set a hardwood block on top of the nut and knock the bejesus out of it with a sledge.

d2r

Removed wheel & nut from steering arm; was told wheel spindle would come apart.

here's a tip... after removing nut... clean dirt & grease off spindle end...
and then make sure the previous owner hasn't repaired it with an
arc-welder

st_arm.jpg

Choker man

Also try soaking the spindle down with a penetrating oil, then hitting the side of the arm. Also hitting a wedge between the spindle and the knuckle might get it to break free.