• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello from Wisconsin (advice pls)

Binko76

Hello everyone. I am 33 yrs old and have quite a variety of skills. Auto, and Industrial mechanics, Carpentry, Flooring, Electrical, and roofing to name a few. I have been interested in becoming a heavy equipment operator for quite some time now and have sent a lot of e-mails and made many phone calls trying to find out how to break into this profession. I grew up working on a large farm doing field work and such. I know that doesn't count for experience; but I would think it would help. I'm from a small town in West Central Wisconsin. I used to subcontract a lot of construction work but went back to industrial work for the benefits and did construciton on the side until the bottom dropped out. I've been laid off for about 5 months now too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really want to become an Operator. I am willing to relocate anywhere and do any type of schooling needed. I'm single with no kids so I am very versatile there. I would prefer to find a Union apprenticeship but wouldn't turn down a good opportunity either. Im having a really hard time making the right contacts with people. I could use some advice on the right people and companies to talk to. A friend of mine who is a Union Laborer told me I should try a school. One I found was ATS but it's 13k for 11 weeks. What are your opinions on this. I am even trying to find strip mining jobs out west that would possibly pick me up as an apprentice. I'm sure this thread has been done many times but I could really use some insight and some friends in this field that could give me a heads up and advice. Like I said, I'll go anywhere in the country and would actually enjoy the traveling. Thanks for your thaughts.

Last edited:

CycloneX

Your picking a very bad time to do this, I know I am in the Des Moines, Iowa area and we have a LOT of experienced operators looking for work out of our local. Your idea about the strip mines or maybe even getting your foot in the door at a local quarry might work best. Get a few years of experience and then hopefully the economy will bounce back and more work will open up. If I was to do it again I think I would try to get good on a crane, seems to be more of them jobs than anything right now. But even them jobs are hard to come by at the moment.

adam21584

In minnesota the union has allot of people sitting on the bench, not working. Times are tough. I did hear of a mine in ND looking for people but that was a while ago. The mine was somewhere around minot. I am non union as the union will not return my calls or e mails right not hopefully things will turn around soon.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Binko76 not trying to rain on your parade but I would stay away from those "schools" here in Wisconsin. I know people that paid good money to go to those schools and it was a total waste of time. There is a school by Sun Prairie
that charges about $20,000 for six weeks. I worked with one guy that came from there and he was worthless. He could not even find the key to start equipment, money well spend there.

If you want some more info PM me.

Binko76

I know. I've heard similar posts like yours before. But I've heard them the other way too. I'm a bit hesitant to pay that kind of money for operating equipment that I know someone could teach me on the job when there is time. I've operated every kind of forklift and articulating lifts, Tractors, Skid Steers, Loaders, etc. I just don't have the experience with making grade and stuff like that. I've been in the trenches doing sewer systems, leveling basements etc. just not in the backhoe. Finding the right contacts seems to be the tough thing for me. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'm almost willing to pay the 13k for the schooling and to get national certification (If that actually means anything to employers.) I imagine it would show initiative if anything. But most of all for the possible contacts it could provide. I talked to the admin guy today and he said they have about 80% placement and if you are willing to relocate it is a lot higher. I'm not really sure what to think.

clueless

Binko, for God's sake do some research---no, do a LOT of research-- on ANY "school".
When the Feds started accepting "independent schools" for Fed Student Loans, the quick-money boys started coming out of the woodwork. Many, all too many, promise the moon and deliver nothing: their "training" is not accepted in whatever profession or industry they "train" you for, their "placements" are padded if not completely bogus, and it's $$$$ down the rathole...
There may well be legit schools in your fields, but you can be certain there's also lots of places devoted to taking as much of your $$$$ as they can, and give you as little as possible for it...(they call it "just business"...

Binko76

Has anyone else heard of ATS or (Associated Training Services.) Or know any other good schools? What is your honest opinion? I know how to operate equipment safely. But there is a lot to learn about grade and other things that I have no knowledge of. I am trying to make myself more marketable to buisinesses that are looking for hard working people that pay a good wage. Thank you Clueless and EGS for your input.