• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello from California

artherd

Greetings, I am a General Engineering contractor in CA, specializing in pipeline, utility, and dam construction as well as site mitigation; micropile and soil nail construction.

I started in the computer industry (doing contract systems integration on airborne cameras for gov and private sector. Not much different from General Engineering to be honest.) I recently jumped industires to construction, which I am finding computers and GPS just like in my previous expierence :)

Been a machinery junkie since I could walk. Always was the kid playing in the sandbox. When I was between the ages of 10-12 I built an underground fort in my folks backyard. Yes it took over 2 years, I did it all by hand (where I vowed; NEVER AGAIN :p) I actually thought about renting something, but had no clue how to run or even what to get. (my folks have no construction expierence.)

Back to the fort. It was 7' long by 7' wide, and 10 feet deep. It had perimiter gravel sub-drains, and an under-floor drainage system that ended in a low 1' dewatering well in which a sump-pump was placed.

It was actually better engineered to deal with groundwater than several buildings I've worked on!

I've now got some bigger iron, and continue to bring my computer and project management abilities into the rapidly changing and challenging engineering area. I love it, and am happier than I've ever been.

At anyrate, a few years ago I regraded the fort into a pond for my folks.

Thanks for listening, looking forward to contribuitng.

Best!
Ben.

Last edited:

surfer-joe

OK artherd, you are going to have to explain micropile and soil nail construction. Ten dollar words like those might confuse some of us older dirt stiffs.

Welcome to the site!

artherd

Thanks guys! Surfer-Joe, check it out, way cool stuff.

Soil nails let you build a retaing wall of almost inteterminate height, from the top down, with no footers or piers/grade-beams. http://www.rembco.com/soil_nailing.html

micro-piles are just that, many deep small drilled or driven piles that can replace a large single pile (and huge loud pile driver) for building and abutment foundations. They are often little more than a grouted soil nail that is drilled straight down instead. http://www.williamsform.com/Micropiles_Micro_Piles/micropiles_micro_piles.html