• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Helicopter in my barn lot.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was just thinking about this today! I had a feeling the pilot touched it to the ground then backed up to keep everything in his view. Ask them how the saw blade drive works. Is it chains or belts? Nice pics!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
25c, let me see if I pretty much got this straight. It's a beautiful blue sky/partly cloudy day in Indiana. You got to go play around a couple of hours with an "antennae" attached to the jib of your Grove, then come home to take pics of a helicopter landing something that looks like it's from outer space in your barn yard, and then go inside and eat some of your grandma's apple pie. Damn...you got it made! :notworthy

td25c

I was just thinking about this today! I had a feeling the pilot touched it to the ground then backed up to keep everything in his view. Ask them how the saw blade drive works. Is it chains or belts? Nice pics!

The saw is belt driven.A cog belt.Like a timing belt in a engine.

td25c

25c, let me see if I pretty much got this straight. It's a beautiful blue sky/partly cloudy day in Indiana. You got to go play around a couple of hours with an "antennae" attached to the jib of your Grove, then come home to take pics of a helicopter landing something that looks like it's from outer space in your barn yard, and then go inside and eat some of your grandma's apple pie. Damn...you got it made! :notworthy

We have some good day's in indiana.Like you do in tennessee.I keep my work on a professional level.crane work and playing around dont mix.I just do the crane work ,whatever the job.I am glad you liked the helecoper pics.Post some jobs & pictures ATCOEQUIP.I would like to see the tennessee blue sky.

Iron Horse

How on Earth can the pilot see the saw while it is cutting ???
It looks to be hanging behind where he would be sitting . Does he look down between his legs through a Lexen panel in the floor or does he watch it on an LCD screen ?

td25c

How on Earth can the pilot see the saw while it is cutting ???
It looks to be hanging behind where he would be sitting . Does he look down between his legs through a Lexen panel in the floor or does he watch it on an LCD screen ?

There is a"bubble" window on the left side for the pilot watch over the side.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I keep my work on a professional level.crane work and playing around dont mix. QUOTE]

Well, my comment was more "tongue in cheek", as in lifting an antennae fixed to the end of your jib isn't exactly a capacity lift. :D Just an easy day at the office for a change. :notworthy

td25c

I keep my work on a professional level.crane work and playing around dont mix. QUOTE]

Well, my comment was more "tongue in cheek", as in lifting an antennae fixed to the end of your jib isn't exactly a capacity lift. :D Just an easy day at the office for a change. :notworthy

I new what you ment ATCOEQUIP.Its springtime now ,It was 34 degrees this morning and it got up to 55 degrees this afternoon.Things are moving now.Monday morning I saw a farmer working ground,It was to wet In my opinion.Send some pics ATCOEQUIP.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Post some jobs & pictures ATCOEQUIP.I would like to see the tennessee blue sky.

I'll have to work on the pics, I don't have a digital camera. I'm the service manager of a shop nowdays, so I don't get out on many jobs. The pics I have of jobs past are still on film pics, don't have a scanner. But here's a pic I found of a job I worked on in Olmstead Illinois for the Corp of Engineers back in the mid 90's. The job was building new locking chambers on the Ohio river, west of Paducah Kentucky. A temporary Coffer Dam was built to "dry out" the river bed so the lock chambers could be built, a quarter mile wide and one half mile long. I was working for a drilling company, we installed wells and pumps in the Coffer Cells, the shoreline, and on the lock floor. We had a lot of pumps working on this site. If you were standing on the lock chamber floor, the Ohio river was 90 ft above you. The only thing between you and the river was the Coffer Dam. There were a lot of cranes on the site, on the ground as well as on barges.

Attachments

• Olmsted- 2.jpg
    Olmsted- 2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 668

td25c

I'll have to work on the pics, I don't have a digital camera. I'm the service manager of a shop nowdays, so I don't get out on many jobs. The pics I have of jobs past are still on film pics, don't have a scanner. But here's a pic I found of a job I worked on in Olmstead Illinois for the Corp of Engineers back in the mid 90's. The job was building new locking chambers on the Ohio river, west of Paducah Kentucky. A temporary Coffer Dam was built to "dry out" the river bed so the lock chambers could be built, a quarter mile wide and one half mile long. I was working for a drilling company, we installed wells and pumps in the Coffer Cells, the shoreline, and on the lock floor. We had a lot of pumps working on this site. If you were standing on the lock chamber floor, the Ohio river was 90 ft above you. The only thing between you and the river was the Coffer Dam. There were a lot of cranes on the site, on the ground as well as on barges.

Great picture ATCOEQUIP.I am in southern IN. You were in our back yard.Thats interesting.Dont feel bad ,my wife has to post the pics an help me whith spelling.I am only good at pulling levers.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Here's a couple of pics for ya', all I have is my cell phone so they ain't the greatest. I took them from Sharp's Ridge on the north side of downtown Knoxville. The first pic is looking NW toward Kentucky and Indiana, the Cumberland Mountains are in the distance. The next two pics are looking SE and E toward North Carolina, overlooking Knoxville, the Great Smoky Mountains are in the distance.

Attachments

• Knoxville Pics 001.jpg
    Knoxville Pics 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 610
  • Knoxville Pics 002.jpg
    Knoxville Pics 002.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 609
  • Knoxville Pics 003.jpg
    Knoxville Pics 003.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 626

td25c

Here's a couple of pics for ya', all I have is my cell phone so they ain't the greatest. I took them from Sharp's Ridge on the north side of downtown Knoxville. The first pic is looking NW toward Kentucky and Indiana, the Cumberland Mountains are in the distance. The next two pics are looking SE and E toward North Carolina, overlooking Knoxville, the Great Smoky Mountains are in the distance.

Well that does it! Now I am going to plan a vacation trip To Tennesse.We have some hills and nice view's in southern IN.But nothing like that.Great pics ATCOEQUIP!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well that does it! Now I am going to plan a vacation trip To Tennesse.We have some hills and nice view's in southern IN.But nothing like that.Great pics ATCOEQUIP!

Well y'all come on down! I didn't take this next pic, found it on the internet and don't know who to credit it to. It's looking toward the sunrise in the east. The lights below are Gatlinburg Tennessee. You can see why they're called the Smoky Mountains. What looks like clouds of smoke or a smoky haze over the mountains is actually humid air that when it gets to the cooler air of the higher elevation, the moisture in the air condenses and makes fog, like smoke clouds, or the more spread out visible haze in the air. ;)

Attachments

• Gatlinburg_Sunrise.jpeg
    Gatlinburg_Sunrise.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:

td25c

Yep,OCR .It was the same company.I always enjoy watching them work.They gave me a nice hat on there last visit.It's a small world trimming power line right of ways with a helicopter.They are highly skilled in what they do and after a long hard day of flying the helicopter with the saw, the pilot and groundman like to eat grilled bratwurst and hamburgers an finish it off with a piece of apple pie.

Attachments

• septic line 005.jpg
    septic line 005.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 412

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Ive never seen anything like that before, but my dad who lives in Hartford City, IN (i was born and raised there on a nice 600 acre farm) was telling me about that same chopper.
He had never seen it before till last summer and called me to tell me all about it. Thanks for the pics, now I have an idea of what the old man was talking about!
Gotta love that good ole Indiana hospitality with pie and coffee. My Grandma would do the same thing!
Jason

Dualie

gotta have nerves of steel piloting that beast. One hard gust and that saws into powerlines. Takes it up a notch for sure