• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hein werner, bang, blew oil every where

maddog

My HW was working great, when out of the blue it made a bang and then blew oil every where. It was getting dark so I couldn't see anything, I have a feeling this isn't going to be good :Banghead I really do like this machine but have a feeling this might be one repair that will cost more then what it is worth :confused: :confused:

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
yea, warner swasey did same thing near dark. was a hose............what kind of oil? send photo!

maddog

That's what I figured :( I'm sure this machine owes the world nothing. I have no idea how many actual hrs are on it but I'll bet it has seen more then it's fair share of dirt rocks sand mud............ Looks like it will be going to the scap yard :( :(

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
tragedy, why don't you look for another plant first? u don't need to spend serious $ to find something to turn that pump.

maddog

What would work, does it have to be another detroit, I noticed the pumps work best when in high rev.

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
A friend had a rod come through the side of a detroit. Disassembled the engine, welded a mild steel patch in the hole. Rebuilt the engine, put it back in a small dozer and ran it. Don't know what the rebuild cost.
Good luck

thebaz

I don't think that Detroits rev as high as they sound, you may be able to repower with something quieter and more economical. Are used Detroits pricey?

maddog

A rebuild kit cost around $1500.00 if my engine is worth rebuilding?? A good used running detroit engine, from what I've come up with so far, is pricy around $5000.00 or more.

Thebaz; I think you may be correct I'm going to check into it more. I do know the engine in it now when running was a fuel pig, it seemed like it burned it just has fast as I could poor it in.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
pump rpm may be a critical factor here so u may have to consider operating rpm before anything else. the fixit job mentioned above sounds ok also.... i have a 413 block in race car welded, works good.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Some of the 5.9 Cummins are in a lot of Machinery.Seen one put in a Skidder that had a Detroit.Only difference was quieter and less fuel.

thebaz

Some of the 5.9 Cummins are in a lot of Machinery.Seen one put in a Skidder that had a Detroit.Only difference was quieter and less fuel.

Those Cummins B motors are everywhere and are pretty much bulletproof.
Good re-power option if one is available at a good price

maddog

Thanks everyone I'm gonna start the search and see what I can come up with. I'm also going to check out the original and see if it is worth saving.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
good advise here, i should think you can eventually find a affordable plant some place that will power this machine. you'll just have to do some digging and keep your eyes/ears open.... lots of us are looking for things.

maddog

From what I can figure I have the detroit 6V53 that runs at 2800rpm, the 3208 cat and the 5.9cummins{24V} also run at a higher rpm so they may work. I also saw something somewhere{can't remember???} that said these machine might of even had a 318 chrysler or perkins diesel in them.

thebaz

The *53 detroits rev a bit harder than the *71s. narrows the options a bit. I think the Cummins would be a better option than the Cat, would a 12v be a cheaper option. I think they are governed at 2500rpm.

Dominion 410

re-power

I know someone who re-powered a Hein-Werner with an Isuzu out of a GMC Forward. Works fine and a lot quieter.

Dominion:canada