• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy truck spec'ing

Mannie

Occupation
Crane operator
I thought I'd become a little more educated on heavy truck (class 7 and 8) spec'ing and I'm not finding much on the web. I know I can go to the folks that build them, but I'd just like to sit and read about it. I'm interested in everything from the basics to the more advanced. For instance, how do you determine the optimum frame length for a dump truck? What's the optimum distance between the steer axle and first drive axle? Is there an optimum dump box length if you're hauling rock at 3,000 lbs/yard? I'm not an engineer by any means, so something from the laypersons perspective would be helpful. So.....if you know of anything on the web, please post some links. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much information out there since there are sooo many variables that play a part in the spec'ing process. Thanks

Wes J

Most of this is determined by the weight restrictions in your area. It's different in pretty much every state. For example, here in IL, we use the federal bridge formula and we can only have 4 axles on a single vehicle. Even so, you get so little weight with the 4th axle that you almost never see them here, it's all tandems. To haul more weight we use semis with short dump trailers.

Now, in pretty much every state that borders IL, they have an exemption to the bridge formula that allows them to carry more weight on 4 or 5 axles. I know in Wisconsin you see 4 axle dump trucks everywhere.

In Ohio they can have as many axles as they want and you seen 6 and 7 axle dump trucks there grossing 80,000 legally.

Beyond that, it depends what you want to do. If you want to haul concrete, you'll want a steel box or tub. If you only haul stone or dirt, aluminum is fine. If you want to haul asphalt, you might need insulation.

Specing the truck can be tricky. For example, I've seen tandem dump trucks with 16K steers that weigh around 21,000 empty and can legally gross 50,000 giving you 14.5 tons of payload. I've also seen heavy spec trucks with 20k steers that weigh 24,500 empty and can legally gross 54,000, giving you roughly the same payload but you're dragging around another 2 tons all the time.

Same thing for trailers. We run short 22' trailers that can legally gross 72,000. With a tractor they weigh between 28,000 and 30,000 empty depending on steel or aluminum. That gives 21 - 22 tons of payload. The we have 32' 3 axle trailers that can gross 80,000 but they weigh around 31,500 empty, so you get about 24 tons. Some of the 40' frameless trailers are lighter at around 29,000 and can haul 25.5 tons legally. However, that's a long awkward trailer that is fairly delicate and precarious to dump.

Clear as mud?

Mannie

Occupation
Crane operator
Most of this is determined by the weight restrictions in your area. It's different in pretty much every state. For example, here in IL, we use the federal bridge formula and we can only have 4 axles on a single vehicle. Even so, you get so little weight with the 4th axle that you almost never see them here, it's all tandems. To haul more weight we use semis with short dump trailers.

Now, in pretty much every state that borders IL, they have an exemption to the bridge formula that allows them to carry more weight on 4 or 5 axles. I know in Wisconsin you see 4 axle dump trucks everywhere.

In Ohio they can have as many axles as they want and you seen 6 and 7 axle dump trucks there grossing 80,000 legally.

Beyond that, it depends what you want to do. If you want to haul concrete, you'll want a steel box or tub. If you only haul stone or dirt, aluminum is fine. If you want to haul asphalt, you might need insulation.

Specing the truck can be tricky. For example, I've seen tandem dump trucks with 16K steers that weigh around 21,000 empty and can legally gross 50,000 giving you 14.5 tons of payload. I've also seen heavy spec trucks with 20k steers that weigh 24,500 empty and can legally gross 54,000, giving you roughly the same payload but you're dragging around another 2 tons all the time.

Same thing for trailers. We run short 22' trailers that can legally gross 72,000. With a tractor they weigh between 28,000 and 30,000 empty depending on steel or aluminum. That gives 21 - 22 tons of payload. The we have 32' 3 axle trailers that can gross 80,000 but they weigh around 31,500 empty, so you get about 24 tons. Some of the 40' frameless trailers are lighter at around 29,000 and can haul 25.5 tons legally. However, that's a long awkward trailer that is fairly delicate and precarious to dump.

Clear as mud?

Thank you ❤️ That was brilliant

AzIron

In California and here in az you can run a super 16 or 18 witch has the arm on the back of the truck witch when folded down it lengthens the bridge formula so with a shorter truck you can still haul 22 to 23 tons on a super 18

A lot of guys have gone to simple 16 and simple 18s they are cheaper and weigh just a little less cause they dont have the fold down arm on the back. They just make the truck longer and put the pushers in front of the drives the only major draw back to simple 18s is a 7 axle truck is really long and can't go to certain places because of access

A lot of landscape supply company still run transfers just cause you can get that in about anywhere

Mannie

Occupation
Crane operator
In California and here in az you can run a super 16 or 18 witch has the arm on the back of the truck witch when folded down it lengthens the bridge formula so with a shorter truck you can still haul 22 to 23 tons on a super 18

A lot of guys have gone to simple 16 and simple 18s they are cheaper and weigh just a little less cause they dont have the fold down arm on the back. They just make the truck longer and put the pushers in front of the drives the only major draw back to simple 18s is a 7 axle truck is really long and can't go to certain places because of access

A lot of landscape supply company still run transfers just cause you can get that in about anywhere
Thank you put that in mind ,
Send me your email address so I can forward something to you

crane operator