• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy equipment technician?

overtheedge

I am wanting to get to be a heavy equipment technician. I have a strong mechanical background but no formal training. I am 34 years old and reside in Idaho if that makes a difference.
Are you better to go to a Diesel tech school from a college or try to get a apprentice position somewhere?
if someone knows of anything else let me know looking for all tips and suggestions.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Edge.........Here at Gap Power we have guys who started while in High School. We hire anyone w/ a good technical aptitude, not so much worried about their formal training. The tech schools are great if you are going to specialize in a limited field like diesel tear down. In the rental business we don't need tear down techs, we need trouble shooter types. Most manufacturers are going to offer tech classes and they too are looking for some experience and a lot of aptitude.

Find a well run rental store or equipment dealer (often one and the same) who has a job open. Talk to the techs - don't take the interviewer's word only.........find out about their training program.

You will want to take Dan Sullivan's electrical training classes. The basic one now (4 days) and the advanced one a year later (3 days). about $700 each. He does those in North Carolina and here in PA but travels all over as well. http://www.brighterideas.com/ This guy will have you getting beyond swapping electrical stuff until it works. Most of our techs are under 30 years old but have a huge jump after having good electrical training. Don't rely on mfrs. for electrical training.

Hope this helps. If you are serious about how you approach this you can make $50K the 1st year and make $65-70K per year after a few years...........at least here in PA. Good luck!

overtheedge

Thank you for your response. That is very informative. I will look into the electronic training that sounds like it would be fun and hard at the same time.
Yes, I am very serious about making this shift as it is something I always wanted to do. I am not afraid to travel or move either. I'm big into mechanic stuff small to large.
I do realize that I am getting a later start than some people who have gotten into earlier. I am dedicated and will do all I can to make this happen.
Thanks again for the information and I will take it to heart.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
From what I'm seeing, the days of the mechanic who can & does repair everything under the sun are over. Specialization is the key. Get on with the company/brand of your choice and let them train you as they see fit.

overtheedge

I hear what you are saying. I am and have been applying to the Cat Think Big programs. I am not sure what John Deere or Hitachi or the others have.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I hear what you are saying. I am and have been applying to the Cat Think Big programs. I am not sure what John Deere or Hitachi or the others have.

Also depends on what you are interested in working on, whether you want work that's local to you, or if you want to travel the world. That electrical course sounds like a good idea. Grunts are a dime a dozen, using more of your mind and less of your body is the way to go. The goal is to make retirement age and still be able to hear, walk, and hopefully move you fingers/elbows/shoulders fairly well. How about one of the major engine manufacturers like Cummins or Detroit? They have their own guys too. A crane company like Mammoet treats their mechanics very well from what I've heard. A lot of learning, a lot of electrical, but relatively clean, non-back-breaking work with a lot of opportunity to see the world.

Last edited:

ship660

John Deere has an excellent school in Nebraska, It is Southeast Community College. I have had several students attend and they where all satisfied with the training they received. CAT has some very good Think Big schools across the nation as well, I think somewhere around 19 total in different states. OSU Okamulgee has great dealer programs too. I will say many techs do start training early (high school) then continue to a dealer type of program. I don't agree that the repair all tech is becoming a thing of the past. What is very important is you learn the electrical portion and diagnostic flow charts very well. About all machines and trucks these days rely on sensors and control modules to function.

overtheedge

Thank you for your response. I will have to look into the John Deere program at the college.
I do surely agree that electronics and sensors control so much of everything anymore. Have to learn all about it.
While I so know some start early on I still feel that I can do a good job and have a good career at my age.

overtheedge

I noticed that the local school offers a heavy diesel technician program and a heavy equipment welding and fab course as well.
The welding and fab course is one year tech school and one year welding cutting etc.
I can weld and cut but not the prettiest. I was curious which course would provide the best option.
Also do you have any input between a certificate or a associates of applied science as to which may be better in getting a job?

ship660

I cant say for sure. It would depend on where you are going to work and what type of work you would be doing. I would think an AWS certificate would carry more weight then an associates if you where going into the fabricating side. But an associates might carry more weight if you are looking to climb the ladder at a dealership. Certificates have there place in industry as well as degrees. I will say it never hurts to gets as much education as one can a degree will not hurt you in the long run.

excavator

If you have the opportunity, get an apprenticeship with a company that has some older techs who know how to troubleshoot problems. Going to school and getting a certificate (degree) is ok but from what I've seen locally, the kids coming out of these schools only know how to plug a computer in. If it doesn't tell them what's wrong they can't seem to fix it. If you can troubleshoot and also use computer diagnostics I think you will always be busy. I agree with OFF's comment, it's getting nearly impossible to know enough to be able to repair any type of equipment that get's thrown at you. Take excavators for instance, every brand builds their hydraulics and electrical systems differently and every new model is different. Then you also try to work on crawlers, wheel loaders, backhoes, manlifts, screening plants, generators and the list goes on. But I still enjoy the challenges and hope to be able to do it yet for another 10 years or so.

overtheedge

I sure would rather get a apprentice position somewhere than going to school. I do not mind going to the electronic course like the bright ideas.
It seems to me that if you are lucky enough to get on school or not you will start at the bottom.
I could only imagine how big of a pain it would be to keep up with all the new stuff (not sure you could ) . The older stuff you sure could have a better chance at it.
Thanks for the insight.