• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

heavy equipment mechanics tool bag

dc0613

how's it going, sorry if im posting this in the wrong spot, im recently new to this trade, and was wondering if a few veterens could tell me the always necessary tools in your box in this industry. im going to be going through a heavy equipment mechanics course soon but am trying to get a head start on tools and other training. thanks a lot

Coondog

Wrenches and sockets of all types and shapes. Each thing has it's place in the work area, but one thing I have noticed, 1 1/2 wrenches and sockets are key, at least around my equipment. I mean you should have every variation of socket and every shape of wrench in this size. I suppose it depends if you are working on cats or samsungs also. I also say plenty of lube, wd40, pb plaster, liquid wrench, whatever. A torch and a welder. My goodness, you got e thinking now. I could go on like this forever. Tape measure, voltage meter, this list may never end.

Shenandoah

A Visa, Mastercard, and an American Express card will help out a whole bunch...:)

I've got 5 roll-aways chock full and still I find I need to buy a tool or two to get jobs done. The thing is this...it never ends if you love mechanical things.

02Dmax

Getting started is 90% of the battle, that motto has helped me alot.

HATCHEQUIP

Back when I started out the shop I was in had about 30 mechanics in it and if you needed to borrow a tool most would let you but allways return it clean and let um know you brought it back but I allways tried to get that tool the next time the tool truck rolled around again or I went by sears. Start out with a good basic set of tools and just add to it as needed

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, start with basic set, standard and metric, it'll grow as ya go. If you end up in a shop with other mechanics, hopefully they'll loan you a special tool you need but don't have. But I'll tell ya right now, rule #1, if you borrow a tool it's up to you to take it back to the person you borrowed it from. Never make them come after it, never forget to take it back. Rule #2...see rule #1. ;)

yucca

I have a full list of the recommended tools from apprentice all the way to journeyman to be a CAT technician somewhere in my stuff. At each level progression it recommends additional tools/tooling/testing equipment for your box. I will see if I can dig it up. It is more of a guideline. Most techs have way more than the list others not so much.

dc0613

wow you guys are awesome, i took off to work and came back thinking if someone had replyed and i opened the thread to this, thank you all so much everything is very helpful, i found it overwhelming looking through pages and pages trying to figure stuff out, if anyone has any other suggestion please let me know thanks again!

and yucca if you did have that would be greatly appreciated!

rare ss

x2 shifters x1 large and x1 huge (adjustable wrench) can be used for a hammer, prybar, lever, wedge.. you can even use it for removing/tightening nuts and bolts!

curb guy

Snap-on angle wrenches.Must be Snap-on,Mac and any other brand will spread,trust me.But start saving now,they're pricey.You can find some deals on E-bay,I rarely buy off the truck,unless it's an emergency.Good luck!

NoCrapmatsu

Snap-on angle wrenches.Must be Snap-on,Mac and any other brand will spread,trust me.But start saving now,they're pricey.You can find some deals on E-bay,I rarely buy off the truck,unless it's an emergency.Good luck!

Can I ask how the Mac etc. Bent? Was it one extreme use or over time? I bought a Mac set a few months ago so I havent got alot of use compared to the life expectancy of a tool. But I have yarded on em pretty good and they have stayed true. I lnow alot of guys scream about snap on being a way better wrench, but I dont buy it. No trying to insult you and I am still only an apprentice but even the journeymen at my shop agree. Is there anything I am missing or could it just be we are working in different applications. I am with a trucking company so its all pickers, trucks, trailers and the sort. No off road.

Coondog

Oh c'mon, just go get on a snapon, Mac, matco, whatever kind of truck. The only people those guys sell to are the ones with noooooo money. They'll find a way to give a dead relative credit so you can ave a tool account. I bet every mechanic, wanna be mechanic, and even some who have never mechaniced in their lives have been in debt to th tool truck. I was and still get that way from time to time. Pay the bill and it builds your credit up amazingly. Just buy American made tools, if your in america, and they are expensive, but support you local economy. There are tons of brands, some ave better traits on certain tools than others, the three mentioned above, armstrong, Williams, Allen, craftsman, crescent, channel lock, proto, fluke, the list goes on and on, all top shelf quality, but be reserved, and all the hype about snapon, they are not as pricey as some the others mentioned in this post.