• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy duty pickup front + Medium Duty rear

oifla

This doesn't happen too many times but I'm obsessing about an idea (a potentially expensive idea) and I can't imagine I'm the only one who's thought of this (no way!). There have to be others but I'm not finding any examples. Closest thing are trucktors (see pic) but they are really a whole other animal.

Hear me out I'm saying get a heavy duty pickup truck front end (say late 1990s Chevy 3500HD) running stock pickup tires and marry it with the driveline and rear end of a Medium Duty truck (say a 4000 series International) with the 22.5R11 rims and tires. It would look a bit like the trucktor but doable, no? I might have an International (with juice brakes) in the driveway and I may be looking for a pickup. Anybody seen this movie already?

O.

trucktor.jpg

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..

Truck Shop

Sure it's all doable-another concept of beating the license/paperwork/cdl and tonnage game.
What does it accomplish in the end and for how long?
Put a Collector Plate on it .

Old Doug

A good friend talked about putting a 2 ton truck axle under a 3/4 ton pickup. He was going to run 12.00 16.5 tires on the rear end. He is a smart guy that has built alot of stuff . He wanted to do because of how light it would be to pull a trailer.

cfherrman

S110 rear on this truck off a f450. Different tire sizes means two different spare sizes.

If your going for towing this is not the way as engine and frame is still limited much less the tag, my f250 can tow just about anything.

If your going for look you can get hub adapters for 22.5.

You will lose 4x4

White truck in the pic cost me $1500 as it sits because I bought it with no rear axle and I had the f450 axle. I want hub adapters for the front so I have a spare tire

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_125025.jpg
    IMG_20230531_125025.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25

oifla

Sure it's all doable-another concept of beating the license/paperwork/cdl and tonnage game.
What does it accomplish in the end and for how long?
Put a Collector Plate on it .

Would not be doing it for the purpose of avoiding CDL, that's not an issue. Prob wouldn't tow very much with it. Appeal is I already have the medium duty truck but the cab on it is not my favorite but I really like the engine (DT360 International). I could swap it into a pickup body but I want the large rolling gear.

O.

cfherrman

Put the engine in a 2008-2010 Ford with a blown engine, it's a common build, then if you want the big tires get hub adapters.

Make sure you know if a good driveline shop before you do anything.

gwhammy

Had a guy around here probably 30 years ago or so had a ford ltd he put a 460 and 4 speed with a dana 60 rearend in. Had a gooseneck hole just behind the rear window and pulled salvage cars from several states away with it. Ran car plates. Got along with it and other homemade towers but got stopped in Ohio by a state police. Told him if they ever saw him again it would take days or weeks to decide whether it was legal or not. Anything is doable but is it worth it?