• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Head protection on a dozer clearing land

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
I wonder if anyone else has tried a motor cycle helmet. I am clearing land. The trees come in all sizes and species including honey locust with nasty thorns that are 6 to 8 inches long here in KY. I use an open cab which I much prefer but when one of those limbs springs from somewhere and switches you in the face, you better have your whole head protected. I operate with the face guard down when pushing trees and brush. I used a roller blade helmet for a while but discontinued that when I learned that your face must also be protected. Then I went to ear muffs and face guard that chain saw crews use but that provides inadquate protection if you fall getting up and down off your machine. One of the fears I always have is tripping on a grouser and casting forward into the blade. I want something that will stay on my head in a falling situation. I have used a hardhat and other protective clothing for 40 years and I am amazed to this day how poorly designed the hardhat is!!! I would like to hear what others have used for protection when doing clearing which we all know is dangerous. Just a couple of weeks ago I was pushing brush into a wind-row (is that the right word and spelling). A 3 to 4 inch straight tree some how got pushed into a bow and when it released, it came striking at my dozer like a 6 foot timber rattler. Thank goodness it hit the top of the hood and was deflected away. FYI, I do have sweeps and am planning on putting a brush guard on the blade. Look forward to hearing any comments or stories about your experiences pushing trees and brush.

Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Put some cab guarding on that machine, A good expanded metal forestry package will help alot more than a good helmet. Imagine a tree coming into the cab pushing the controls into drive and sending stick right thru you....

As far as ppe while running machines, a baseball cap and earplugs is about as fas as it goes...

jmtrackworks

Occupation
Owner/Operater; Martins Track Works
I learned a hard lesson a few years ago by being thrown out of the seat and up into the ROPS. I hit my forehead so hard I could taste the fillings in my teeth. Still though, thank goodness I hit the ROPS and did not get thrown out onto the hood or ground in front of the machine! From that point on I don't even sit on my dozer without my seat belt on.

As for head gear, a dirty ball cap is about as far as I go.

I would definitely look into screens around the ROPS.

Cowboy Billy

Occupation
Operating Engineers Local 324
I got some hog panels (5/16 rod welded together with 1 1/4x1 1/4 openings) I am going to put across the back and up the sides of my dozer. Last year I was making a trail in the woods and backed into a sapling that went under the dozer. It went just to the left of my body under my arm and pushed it off the shifter. I ended up having to reach around it to throw it in neutral. If it had hit me in the back I probably would have been dead. Accidents happen fast. I am also going to build something on the blade to protect the radiator better I've come close to having a sapling push through the radiator.

Billy

jeff112

limb risers are a must when pushing in the woods along with forest package/ hog fence around the rops so you don't get slapped and speard,go slow use your head,even with a helmet what abought the rest of the body? as for me forest package and safety glasses,steel toe boots and gloves when I'm in the machine.hard hat out of machine.

heavylift

Petzl makes helmets with straps, face guards and ear protection. But I would opt for a cab that has protection other than glass.. Cause there is always a branch eager to get in the seat of a dozer also.

jughead

Occupation
retired
and wear that seat belt. this old man was lucky went over a log, blade a little too high, i wound up almost hugging that hot exhaust. if i hadnt changed the throttle so one has to hold it in position dont know if i would be here now. i know it aint kosher but with 6 heart attacks i figured at least it would stop if i kicked the bucket while on it.

Puffie40

I wonder if anyone else has tried a motor cycle helmet
A little extreme in terms of protection but not unheard of. I distinctly remember reading Motorbooks "Bulldozers" which had a section on firefighting bulldozers. The operator wore a SCBA / Air purifier that was not much different then a full-face motorcycle helmet.

I wear a Hardhat/chainsaw visor when I'm scratching with our D6. Of course, the areas I'm working on were already logged about 5-10 years ago and all I'm dealing with are 6" thick trees at most, and we try to save as much of the longer logs as possible for firewood, so I don't deal too much with full-length wood.

Being vigilent while landclearing is one of the biggest saftey tips need to do while land clearing. With proper ROPS/enclosment guarding, Not much PPE is needed to operate the bulldozer.

The one hazard I'll point out (And I had a few close calls!) is to avoid backing up on flattend (But not uprooted) trees. I don't have guarding blocking the underside of the fuel tank, and I do have the odd stick suprise me from under the seat!

Sledcrazzy

If you are getting sticks and sharp stuff in the rops all the time you are doing something wrong.... and besides that a helmet will do you no good at all if one stabs you in the back or comes in and gets you in the ribs. You need a proper forestry package or a different approach.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks for the comments. Great information. I do have a rear guard and sweeps. I enjoy the open cab but it is not worth bleeding for and with an impact wrench there is no excuse to not removing it when I just do grade work. I always, I mean always wear my seat belt. In fact I recently installed a new one to be sure it was good. I also have sweeps. I will get side panels and a radiator guard. Thanks again, Brothers! I like this forum almost as much as my morning coffee and evening glass of wine!

AT&SW

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
seat belt, seat belt, seat belt in land clearing things happen fast

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Brush screens are the way to go. And after you get used to them, they won't cause you any trouble when grading either.

hudson's74

Yea I have a complete forrestry package on mine and It has saved me a few times I don't think the hog panels will work well but something is better than nothing!

D6c10K

I've been thinking about building side screens for my open brush guard to keep those nasty limbs from slapping me. Figured on fabbing a frame to hold wire screen. I've found quite a few places on line that list the screen, called "space cloth" by the manufactures becase it's sized by the space size between wires.

FurakawaMatt

Since I have never had the luxury of guards or enclosed cabs in all the years I have land cleared, I am just use to being alert. I have been thumped a few times and had to extricate carefully branches that want to penetrate the engine compartment or me. Over time you learn how to run to minimize that happening. The biggest problem is to push things over but not out. Avoid running on top of brush or over bent down trees. When pushing trees be aware of things falling from above. Dead trees are dangerous trees. When piling brush any bent limb is a potential hazard.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
FurakawaMatt, good advice. Running on to a log or bent over tree was the first thing I learned to avoid. I do have a ROPS, rear screen, and sweeps. I have had part of a tree come crashing down on the roof! In fact, I was cutting a tree last week with my chainsaw. I was being very careful. It was an elm with a triple trunk. I was watching it closely as it went down. I was sure all was OK when something hit me in the back of the upper left arm. It went down the tricep muscle and off my elbow. The pain in my elbow was electric. I threw down the saw and jumped up and down for about 30 seconds. I finally figured out what happened. A tree (small but long) was hanging on the edge of the crown of the elm. I did not see it. When the elm tilted forward in its fall, it let it loose and it struck me. My arm is black from the shoulder to the elbow. Man, I hate that!

Last edited:

FurakawaMatt

Ouch! Chainsaw work is really easy to end up getting hurt. Although I was born with a chainsaw in my hands (my mother was not happy about that) I have had several times of being thwacked with things. Hope you recover quickly!