• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HD6 correct Transmission & Final Drive oil???

drtdmn

Can anyone tell me what is the correct oil for the transmission and the final drives on a 1959 HD6E. I have heard all sorts of different grades from 80-90wt gear oil, 30wt motor oil, 85-140 gear oil.:confused:

FWD

I think it would be 80-90 gear oil. I had one of these years ago and I believe that's what I put in it.
FWD

FWD

50 wt engine oil is the same consistency as 90 weight gear oil. I believe 50 weight would not have the additives of GL5 gear oil. There is also a GL1 gear oil that is what some say a mineral oil. Some of the old transmissions and heavy truck transmissions call for a 50 wt engine oil or GL1 gear oil.
FWD