• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HD10 W Dozer Steering clutch

dodgent

I have an HD10 W I purchased that has been sitting for 30yrs ---all the brakes and steering clutch leavers were rusted tight -- we have since gotten everything freed up but the steering clutch on the right side (sitting in the seat) leaver pulls all the way back with no resistance, the other side has about an inch of free travel (looking at the arm in the steering box under the seat) While looking into the rear of the dozer you can see a Yoke that goes from the steering box on top down to about the center of the steeing clutch its self in the center and this Yoke pivits on something - I am assuming that this Yoke pushes some rod or something on the Steering Clutches???

I have no knowlege of these Dozers, I have a service manual but it doesnt show this Yoke that I am talking about -I dont know if there is something out of adjustment or if something inherently breaks here or where to start.

I hate to start tearing things apart until I have some idea of what I am doing or looking for or if something just needs adjusted.

I would also like to know what year it is also if anyone has that information the Number on the back is HD10 W 9543

I appreciate any help anyone can give

kbeen

hello dodgent, what exactly is the problem you are having? the right side will not release or will not pull ? i know about the caterpillar steering clutch systems and the yoke when moved by the steering booster actually compresses the large springs that holds the steering clutch engaged thus releasing the steering clutch. when dry type steering clutches set a long period of time usally the problem is they will not release and thus will not let the machine turn. is this your problem ?

dodgent

hello dodgent, what exactly is the problem you are having? the right side will not release or will not pull ? i know about the caterpillar steering clutch systems and the yoke when moved by the steering booster actually compresses the large springs that holds the steering clutch engaged thus releasing the steering clutch. when dry type steering clutches set a long period of time usally the problem is they will not release and thus will not let the machine turn. is this your problem ?

Yes - I can not steer the dozer - only the left steering clutch is working, the right side does nothing, the lever pulls easily, it is moving the linkage and I can see it is moving a yoke down at the steeing clutches but what the yoke is supposed to be moving I dont know.

Is there something that this yoke attaches to is broke, slipped off or out of adjustment? The Service manual does not show this Yoke or what it is attached to that I can see.

What is the method of getting to this to fix it or what is the right way to see what is wrong, there is a plate under the steeing clutch box under the seat, do you have to take this all out or is there another way of getting to fix this? All looks like pretty close quarters to do anything and impossible to see anything from the rear plate removed.

Thanks

kbeen

dodgent since it has been setting for 30 yrs. the clutch might just be froze up or rusted together. i have heard of them doing that after setting, they will rust up and not release. is the steering and brake a dry compartment, if so you can fill it up with some type of oil or i have heard of them using diesel and let it set for a few days and see if it will free up the steering clutch pack if it is rusted together.

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
not sure thats his problem. he says" it pulls easy" and it shouldnt it should have quite abit of resistance sounds like there could be a prob with the linkage or maybe the throwout bearing or fork. but if you do fill it with diesel or oil make sure you drain it good and then fill it with solvent and run it then drain it so you get all the diesel out probably should do that more than once

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello dodgent, Look under the loader for a drain, if you don't, do not add any oil.. I'am not sure about your machine but on mine i founed a worn linkage, egg shaped hole, letts for a lot off free travel, few of them and you loose the movement, ck where the leaver goes into the gear box, good luck.

dodgent

Hello dodgent, Look under the loader for a drain, if you don't, do not add any oil.. I'am not sure about your machine but on mine i founed a worn linkage, egg shaped hole, letts for a lot off free travel, few of them and you loose the movement, ck where the leaver goes into the gear box, good luck.

Hello,

I think I have figured it out, I took off the clutch box off of the deck and took the plate up so I could get in to see the fork and clutches, after looking it over I noticed that one of the (I guess you would call them throwout bearings) would not move, there are two bearings on each side of the fork that pushes on the clutches to release them. I think they had let the dozer get loose in the linkage and out of adjustment allowing a lot of play, after sitting awhile the bearing had rusted up and wouldnt turn, when they tried to move the dozer and pulled on that steering clutch leaver the bearing didnt move, when the clutches started to turn it pulled the fork out of the holes that the throwout fork sit's in, this resulted in no leverage to release the clutches.

This is one of the many good reasons to keep your machine lubed and adjusted avoiding excess play in linkages among other things. Grease and oil is cheap compaired to what it costs in time and parts to fix it when it breaks from lack of lubrication.

I am cleaning all the bolts (took 6 cans of PB blaster to get to this point, nothing works better) and am getting ready to reassemble the system. I can see nothing else wrong with the steeing clutches so this almost has to be what had happened.

I am anxious now to get it back together and try it out, so far my 1,400 dozer just needed a little maint, undercarriage looks good and the motor runs like a Swiss watch, some new hydraulic hoses and I should be able to give my 1938 D6 a needed rest on our Farm.

I want to thank you all for your help.