• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I did a little road building today and hauled the first two loads with my little HD. I figured that the Duncan show was fast approaching and I haven't hauled any weight in the truck! So far so good!

http://youtu.be/KSOK0Dwu7pk
http://youtu.be/WBMiEoV4NTs

Thanks for looking!

I am impressed with your build quality, I have 2 RC kits I play with. Are you using a 3 channel radio, now a Pacific would make me want one.:drinkup

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Hey Hank....RCP and I have had numerous chats about building some P-16's..I am currently trying to figure out how to make the I beam frame....I am pretty sure I will be starting with 2x2 sq bar.......Cory

Hank R

Occupation
Keep me in mind if it happens, we are changing our crawlers to speed Wraiths, got the wife one also. P-16 or 12 would work for me.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I am impressed with your build quality, I have 2 RC kits I play with. Are you using a 3 channel radio, now a Pacific would make me want one.:drinkup

Thanks very much Hank. This only needs a 3 channel at the moment but it is using a 6 channel. I have a few more things to add that will use up the extra channels in the future.

Cory is right, we have been trying to sort some things out to build one or two P16's...Or more.... The biggest thing is the cost/man hours to do what we both want. To build a truck like this Hayes is fairly easy because the driveline isn't very accurate and can be bought for a few hundred dollars. I have just over a month of working on it full time into the Hayes plus around $800 in parts. My Kenworth is completely scratch built and much more correct(also much larger) but has nearly 400 man hours in it plus about $1500 in materials/electronics. I am trying to sort out a way to make the rear diffs easier than manual machining them like I did for my KW850 and then we're good to go!

Here's another video from today. I used a shovel to rough in the road but then used my 1/10 scale Cat 955K to smooth it out a bit for the Hayes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNK5-bKkxY&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A

Reg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
scan176.jpgscan177.jpgBill Neil's last HDX Hayes loaded across bridge at bottom of Tr. 11 headed for Gordon River M/L early 1980's. Could this be the same truck as the Hank R posted owned by Dave McIntosh in 1994 ?

Hank R

Occupation
I was under the impression that Dave did not own any off highway trucks he had a couple of trucks on with Aggressive transport a Hayes Cab over and a IH transtar.

camptramp

Occupation
Sorry Hank R was Dave Mc driving them for someone else ? Kind of interested as to where Bill Neil's trucks ended up. He was a real genuine character don't know how old he was when the super at Renfrew Div. told him maybe it was time he quit driving his Kenworth and put a driver on it , just about broke his heart . He spent his whole life either driving or wrenching logging trucks , didn't have any hobbies, except the boat he kept out at Pedder Bay Marina ,to fish the Race Rocks area , and I'll tell you that was an adventure in it's self.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Hd 37-58

seen this one on here before in better condition, hope it has a chance to live on. HD 37-58 s/n 5134

Attachments

• IMG_0564 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0564 (640x480).jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_0568 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0568 (640x480).jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 988
  • IMG_0569 (640x480) (2).jpg
    IMG_0569 (640x480) (2).jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_0570 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0570 (640x480).jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0571 (640x480) (2).jpg
    IMG_0571 (640x480) (2).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 979

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
sold

this green HD has been bought and will be restored, was talking to the new owner and he said the other two HD's with it could go for cheap as the owner needs them gone. green HD 21-50 s/n 7081853. all are on page 50 this thread.

Attachments

• 100_4473 (640x480).jpg
    100_4473 (640x480).jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 981

Hank R

Occupation
I received a great huge group of pictures this morning thanks Rick. These 2 pictures were taken in Lapas Manitoba in 1973. R.W. Saunders from Namiano B.C. were hauling in a different way than we do in B.C.

NP-15-A

This is my first post on the Hayes site! I've looked and read the Hayes thread for awhile, lots of good info on here.
I am a member of ATHS Vancouver Island Chapter.
Just to let truck fans know, we are having our truck show at the BC Forest Discovery Centre July 12-13, 2014.
This year's Truck Show poster features Roy Saunders' 1970 Hayes HDX, it was restored years ago by ATHS members (I think).
At this year's Truck Show, I know there will be three, maybe more, Hayes at the show, this includes mine.
If you have any questions feel free to check our web site www.athsvancouverislandchapter.com or post questions here to me.

Regards

camptramp

Occupation
Those pictures of Roy Saunders trucks in Manitoba must have been in a FERIC project . My cousin Gordon Franklin was a Professional Forester who worked for FERIC a Federal Government Department that did research in Forestry . He once mention a project that involved Roy Saunders in Manitoba. He was from Ontario and they haul most of their logs cut short and loaded cross ways.

Last edited: