• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

That old HD was bought by Niel Ward from Port Alberni only for parts(46-40 rear diffs Engine was siezed to the point that even we would not take it on. Sad but there was so little left on her that was not either bent or rusted beyond help-- pulled the plug on both trannys only to find RED rust even the rad had been damaged by pushing her around Had the old style Browne Lipe aux with the side shift rails (the shifter rods came out the side of tranny instead of the top like the Spicers) Then there was the Cummins manifold cause as you know anybody with an old cummins is always looking for the rear dump style but it was also NFG They ended up cutting her up.

HDX

Dirty4fun We are only a phone call away You just pick out the model that turns your crank and it shall be done. Dont know when you are going to win so we will leave this open OK

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I've got that one - and old Ken has since passed away since writing it. Too bad he didn't do a follow on. I've also have got Logger's Digest by Barry Coulson. And that's it... Maybe HDX and Trakloader should combine their talents and put down the history as they know it - and they have quite the knowledge it would seem - I know that it would have quite the demand if they did it.

skadill

She is an ex Rayonier Truck Trakloader They had CPS in the diamond on the doors but I think about this time CPS became Rayonier or the other way around These trucks were delivered under Master Mechanic Hal Fladager There was 6 HDs all spec'd the same NTC335 Cummins engines and 1263A main trans with 8341 aux trans also had SRD rear diffs with 7.54 ratio so they had a top speed of 51 MPH Dont know what the story was on the first truck(Delivered Jan19 1970) but the others came in 2132 2133 Feb 4 1970 2134 2135 Feb 10 1970 and 2136 came Feb 12 1970 They also got 6 P9 Pacifics about the same time. Over time however as with everything else these trucks were reduced to bullcooking One became a line horse and several became fire tankers These were VERY CLASSY trucks in the day Sure would like to get the remains of that truck (and the factory sign) sure is a lot of potential there. OH by the way her serial # is 0033927
Thasnks HDX,couldnt get the rusyt door open,thanks for the history.Its always neat that every piece out there has touched someones life and has stories to go with it if you can find the right person that knows.We dont just find iron,we find history and stories as well,and fill in missing pieces of other peoples gear and history.Good work all!!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Gord Barney - never heard of him before and so thanks for the info. How are these books?

HDX

Skadill just for your info Those J/R trucks did not come with tachs or speedometers in the dash like all the others They had two Sangamo "Tattletailers" mounted on top of the dash with the removable day cards Both of them still work in unit #2133 George Fredricson from MtSicker Logging in Duncan has one of the P9s. Out of all these trucks there is very few survivors I saw one of the P9s at the scrapyard in Cassidy some time back but she had a ton of waste steel jammed into her cab so even that was unsavable--- Win Some Lose Some

skadill

Skadill just for your info Those J/R trucks did not come with tachs or speedometers in the dash like all the others They had two Sangamo "Tattletailers" mounted on top of the dash with the removable day cards Both of them still work in unit #2133 George Fredricson from MtSicker Logging in Duncan has one of the P9s. Out of all these trucks there is very few survivors I saw one of the P9s at the scrapyard in Cassidy some time back but she had a ton of waste steel jammed into her cab so even that was unsavable--- Win Some Lose Some

Thanks HDX,You know more about these trucks and their lives than anyone I'm sure.Some of us just find em,others know whats going on,between the bunch of us putting together these old dinosaur bones on the forum here,we're bringing all the info,picture,history,and resumes back to life of these un-thanked heroes of the industry that were close to being forgotten,and missed on the next generation.

skadill

Another Veteran of the Industry

taken last spring

Attachments

• DSCN1556.jpg
    DSCN1556.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 1,311
  • DSCN1560.jpg
    DSCN1560.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 1,295

HDX

Skadill Leave a note for night shift Should be ready to go in morning Trakloader 1961 You could get the vent window in 1960 but it was still an option by 61 they were almost all vent windows

HDX

That old girl has some very funny pieces. See the hood well it has a groove along the bottom where the side panel would be. That was only used in 1952 53. The reason was because like all other truck builders of the day the side panels dropped in and hooked onto that part of the hood After enough time the side panels found their way up into the rafters of the shop because every morning you had to climb up and lift the side panel up on top of the hood to check the oil. It just got easier to just leave them off then you could also see if anything was loose or falling off while you were walking around her. The rad and the brush guard are wrong must have come off a newer truck Bumper is original style (used as an option up till end of Hayes) These were called "Stub Bumpers" the bumper everybody sees is the "Push style" bumpers She is definitly a mid 50s unit and I think that what the guy did was fixed whatever went wrong and kept nursing her along till the contract(Job) ended then brought her home to retire

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Trakloader, HDX; Funny - Here are pictures of a 1963 HDX with square door windows and no vent. I am pretty sure it is the original cab. So I guess it must be one of the last Hayes that had the old cab:confused:

Attachments

• 1963 Hayes HDX 33-80 sn#3092492 -  Campbell River - 07232007-10s.jpg
    1963 Hayes HDX 33-80 sn#3092492 - Campbell River - 07232007-10s.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 1963 Hayes HDX 33-80 sn#3092492 Campbell River - 07222007-1s.jpg
    1963 Hayes HDX 33-80 sn#3092492 Campbell River - 07222007-1s.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,263

HDX

Hayesno1 If you ordered a Hayes and you wanted the old 24x24 windows then you got 24x24 windows It was just that you had to specify that you wanted them because the door was different. The problem with most of these trucks today is you just dont know how many times the doors have been changed or what the story is on them.A good example is to see how many Hayes's have the "New style" doors the ones with the extended lip for the drivers arm( in fact it was designed as a stiffener) because the old style doors had a tendancy to crack right accross where the vent window was situated. While we are on the subject of vent windows on the Hayes HD WHD HDX the problem everybody has today is to find the vent window rubber. These were made by ACE Rubber in Vancouver They sold out to Accurate Rubber after Hayes went down and there was no call for them so they threw out all the moulds due to being obsolete. BUT if you ever find an old Pacific door and the vent window rubber is good WELL grab it because the vent windows are the SAME More trade secrets here going out the "Window" Sorry I know its a long winded answer but now its out there

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
Trakloader, HDX; Funny - Here are pictures of a 1963 HDX with square door windows and no vent. I am pretty sure it is the original cab. So I guess it must be one of the last Hayes that had the old cab:confused:

Ya its the original cab. But the driver's door isn't. It's from this one (pic below). I thought the gravel truck was a 58. I took a pic of its ID plate this morning (2nd Pic). The gravel truck still operates, except the fuel pump is gone on it right now.
P3030531.jpg

P3030528.jpg

the S/N is - 3092492
H

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
1 of 3 trucks that came down from Alaska back in 88. We bought 2, one we still have, the other we put 121s (try to find some pics) then eventually sold to a guy in Kentucky back in 2001. This is the 3rd that Donny Cox had. Its on its way to Chilliwack for the RB auction at the end of the month.

2939235_4.jpg

2939235_3.jpg

2939235_1.jpg

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Hayesno1 If you ordered a Hayes and you wanted the old 24x24 windows then you got 24x24 windows It was just that you had to specify that you wanted them because the door was different. The problem with most of these trucks today is you just dont know how many times the doors have been changed or what the story is on them.A good example is to see how many Hayes's have the "New style" doors the ones with the extended lip for the drivers arm( in fact it was designed as a stiffener) because the old style doors had a tendancy to crack right accross where the vent window was situated. While we are on the subject of vent windows on the Hayes HD WHD HDX the problem everybody has today is to find the vent window rubber. These were made by ACE Rubber in Vancouver They sold out to Accurate Rubber after Hayes went down and there was no call for them so they threw out all the moulds due to being obsolete. BUT if you ever find an old Pacific door and the vent window rubber is good WELL grab it because the vent windows are the SAME More trade secrets here going out the "Window" Sorry I know its a long winded answer but now its out there
HDX; Thanks for some very interesting information/history. As you have told me, every Hayes built has it's own personality:)