• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Call me crazy, but it would almost be a shame to paint it. Great work!

I fully agree ben46a. There was a steel company - Edgecomb Steels as I recall - that ran a fleet of Autocars that were made of Stainless steel and NOT painted.
But I'm pretty sure Jim wants it painted and it is going to be yellow

Jeep09

Last time I saw her - 2012 or 2014 - was near Chemainus so I guess she is still there. Glad to hear she is still around. She must be saved.

I was sure , had this truck working for me as an onsite water truck in May & June this year, lol, nice to know the historywater truck 2.jpg
\

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Reg; great work as usual. I wonder about the fishplate frame?

Thanks Kim. I don't think the extra deep frame braces were used too often but they were/are on this one. I will post up some pictures later today when I'm finished in the shop and it will make more sense. It's probably not that noticeable but by the end of today I will have another 30+ hrs in the truck since my last update on Wednesday.lol It's a labor of love for sure....

RCP57

Occupation
[video=youtube;th2WdZtynT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2WdZtynT8[/video]

dirty4fun

You truly are amazing Reg! I keep thinking that you can't make anything better than the last one. Then you make another and I have to adjust and say this has to be the best yet. You are the man, beautiful job!

RCP57

Occupation
You truly are amazing Reg! I keep thinking that you can't make anything better than the last one. Then you make another and I have to adjust and say this has to be the best yet. You are the man, beautiful job!

Thanks for the kind words Jim. I never thought I would build a truck that was better than my 850 KW but I think this one has surpassed it thanks to more small details. It has been a challenge at times but for the most part it has been fun to put this much time and effort into the little Hayes. I wasn't asked to make it this detailed but sometimes it's hard to stop once you reach a certain point. I just hope the paint turns out OK! It's getting close to needing some...

Reg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Received these pictures from Shawn and are a follow up of Post 2255. Used to belong to Cooper Crane Rentals and was red when it came to the steel plant from Quebec.

HDX

Hank Cant help but wonder why they went to 16:00X25 tires on the steering axle! It would have had the 14:00 X25 tires on there same as on the rear drivers. Sure makes the front end look small, Nice pictures Thanks for sharing them

HDX

To some this is what would be called "a barn find". She's been sitting in this storage facility for twenty-two years always under cover. Ron decided it was time for somebody else to enjoy her.
When the new owner found out about her he snapped her up. IMG_3597.jpgIMG_3600.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX,well that is a great start to my day. Have not seen this beauty in awhile. Ron has done a good deed by letting her go to a new home. New owner will enjoy. Is he old enough to handle twin sticks? Lol

HDX

Today I will go through my pictures and scan some that will show the rest of her not just the rear most parts. You can see the stacks are really burning clean. Only time there is some smoke is when he would put his foot into it on a hill but then it would clear itself right away This truck is painted in the original Euclid Green paint scheme that was MacMillan Bloedel's Northwest Bay Division colors in 1965 She was one of a 9 truck order Three came with Cummins engines three with Cat engines and three with the GM engines. This is her original unit number. Ron restored her back to original as a tribute truck. Spec's are 8V71 GM 5 Speed main 4 speed aux 46-40 rear ends 12:00X24 tires Top speed was FAST Would cruise along on the freeway at 55 with no problem. She was at the ATHS Convention in 1995 and we all drove down there through Colville / Kettle Falls Washington. When we went over the Sherman Pass there was lots of people giving the thumbs up and waving. Was perhaps the best times of our lives back then. I always remember his three kids all jammed in there having the time of their lives on the way to a parade or show in Campbell River or Duncan "The Family Sedan" Was hard to see him part with her, but like he said , She is going to a really good home and will be treasured forever. Look forward to seeing her at some events on the island again

HDX

Some random pictures of Ron and Old 214. Some were taken on the way to Spokane and some on the island. If any interest, I can post pictures of what Ron started with.
IMG_0494.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0519.JPG