• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

having problems getting the right fall/grade using my rugby 100 laser..

jayster

Just brought a New laser a rugby 100..my question is how do i get the right grade/fall using the laser.how do i set it up..really struggling With this..help very much needed! thankyou.

eamon

Hi there,
The laser will only done one grade so the easiest way is to place the laser over the curb line, this stops any messing with levels and keeps it simple. Then turn on laser, it will auto level, set receiver next to laser and kerb line. Then get your man to stand at your bottom kerb line and pick up the laser beam.
Now while you alter the beam up or down using the arrows, get your man to move the receiver up or down accordingly and talk to each other letting each other know what is going.
Couple of things. Make sure laser front face is square with the gradient, check the cross on top of laser. I cannot remember if laser beam moves front to back or left and right, but it only means moving it 90deg around. Also when you turned off the laser it resets back to level so you have to restart again.
Good luck

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
If you have a square area with the 2 high corners level and 2 lower corners level. Put a grade stake on 4 corners and with laser check that the grades are correct, then set laser on one of the high corners. The blue print may say 2% slope but in field it may come out to 1.9 or something. Adjust the percentage to hit high and lower corners on grade stakes before you try and grade anything. As long as you are on grade the percentage can be a little off.

eamon

dozerman, there's no gradient display on the rugby 100, hence why I've said it's easier to use the extra man to set it, otherwise you soon loose the laser beam.

but I do agree with what your saying.

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
eamon,I am by no means an expert but according to the spec for the Rugby 100 it is not a grade laser, as you have said no gradient display, probably you will have to disable the auto levelling function and tilt the laser to the required grade. You would be much more accurate using a single or dual grade laser, as if the Rugby 100 gets the tripod knocked with the auto levelling function disabled, and you don't notice your work will be off. ask your supplier for advice or I could recommend someone local to me near Sheffield if you PM me.
Good luck,
Ex tractor fan