• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have a look at my two new Toys

CAT D8 N

Thanks Hanomag... that was very informative and useful..

I have noticed that several of the comments had suggested to increase the pads by welding them on to increase density and compaction. This is as I see it a remedy to use the on hand Al-Jon's and make the best out of them.
As to the codes here in Saudi Arabia... there are non... with regard to the project that we are developing "shrimp farm" we come up with our own based on trial and error.

Would you suggest that we weld sheep feet pads on the wheels in between the regular ones? sounds a bit waki but might work... :bash

or there might be ready made full sheep foot pads to be bolted around the wheels like the ones they have for single drum compactors??

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Check out the Caron website - http://www.caroncompactor.com/b_products.html#soil
They have some products for soil compaction and a few products to adapt landfill feet to soil compaction feet.

Another thing to consider is using the trash blade for dirt work. These blades are designed to push bulky but lightweight trash which has different weights and density than dirt. I would be careful not to side load the blade since these compactors lack pusher arms that the soil compactors (such as an 815F) have.

Not saying they can't be used for pushing dirt, they are used all the time in landfills to grade daily cover. If you are using trucks to move the material I would put a dozer with these compactors to knock the piles down. If you are using pans/scrapers then your not going to be pushing much with them anyway.

ih100

I've pushed clay/soil fill with a landfill spec machine in the UK and it was easy to meet compaction spec as long as the lifts were kept around a foot or less. They compact better pushing their own loads out rather than just rolling what a dozer has pushed. When the rollers are pushing they pummel the ground more than just rolling.

CAT D8 N

Check out the Caron website - http://www.caroncompactor.com/b_products.html#soil
They have some products for soil compaction and a few products to adapt landfill feet to soil compaction feet.

Another thing to consider is using the trash blade for dirt work. These blades are designed to push bulky but lightweight trash which has different weights and density than dirt. I would be careful not to side load the blade since these compactors lack pusher arms that the soil compactors (such as an 815F) have.

Not saying they can't be used for pushing dirt, they are used all the time in landfills to grade daily cover. If you are using trucks to move the material I would put a dozer with these compactors to knock the piles down. If you are using pans/scrapers then your not going to be pushing much with them anyway.

Thanks for the website, very interesting.
I do take your point there.. but I think we will be doing more grading and compaction instead of spreading piles. No scrapers on our site.

I've pushed clay/soil fill with a landfill spec machine in the UK and it was easy to meet compaction spec as long as the lifts were kept around a foot or less. They compact better pushing their own loads out rather than just rolling what a dozer has pushed. When the rollers are pushing they pummel the ground more than just rolling.

Well nothing beets first hand experience....:drinkup
My concern here is the clay build up around the wheels since they dont have any cleaners?? Did you have any problem there?

ih100

Well nothing beets first hand experience....:My concern here is the clay build up around the wheels since they dont have any cleaners?? Did you have any problem there?[/QUOTE]

Ours had cleaners. If it hadn't the build-up would have killed it on the wetter clay. It's going to be a bit suck-it-and-see for you, but on dryer clay it was no problem, but if you can fit cleaners you're going to extend the range of what you can put down.

Last edited:

CAT D8 N

[/QUOTE]

Ours had cleaners. If it hadn't the build-up would have killed it on the wetter clay. It's going to be a bit suck-it-and-see for you, but on dryer clay it was no problem, but if you can fit cleaners you're going to extend the range of what you can put down.[/QUOTE]

Well what we will try to do is water the clay end of the day and compact in the morning and afternoons, in other words wait tell it gets a little dry first. The other thing is that our thing is that our pads are not that many on the wheels, which means that clay doesent stick to it as easy as if it were usual padfoot compactors

ih100

I've never found watering clay to work too good, as the water needs to be mixed in throughout. That's another reason it's best to spread with the compactor, as you immediately trap any moisture already in the clay. Keep spreading and compacting continually as the material arrives.

By the way, what are you doing in Saudi?

CAT D8 N

I've never found watering clay to work too good, as the water needs to be mixed in throughout. That's another reason it's best to spread with the compactor, as you immediately trap any moisture already in the clay. Keep spreading and compacting continually as the material arrives.

By the way, what are you doing in Saudi?

Well at the moment we have no other option than to spread out the clay and wait for the compactors to arrive and do the job. But I really agree that the best way is to spread and compact as it arrives, just cant beat one time handling

I am a Saudi National, and I am building a shrimp farm here with an OZ mate of mine. ;), but I did go to school in the US when I was a kid back in the early 70's... and loved it :usa