• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hats off to you folks

curly

Occupation
loader operator
Well I finally got to operate a grader, 140H to be exact. I did a bit of cleaning up such as grading down rises near the gravel piles and generally making the areas a little better for loading trucks. I never imagined how difficult it could be to get everything just right. I did all my work near idle speed in first gear, but hey now I've got about 3 hours in the seat!

A question though, is there some secret way to tell when the blade is horizontal perfectly? I judged it so-so and the work came out alright for a newbie. Also, when I tried float it went horrible. I changed the moldboard angle from middle to forward to back and the same results, it tried to make a ramp to China! Oh and one more, do newer graders have some button that you can push to return the board to the position it was in before being raised up? Kind of like setting the bottom detent for a loader bucket and such?

But anyhow, you guys that can finish grade jsut rock and I have the utmost respect for your skill, if only the GPS was hooked up on the grader right now.....