• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

has anyone seen the new Cat track loaders

9420pullpan

i guess cat came out with a new D series track loader does anyone have any more info or pics on these machines

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
I don't believe this is out yet. Cat is inviting the press to its official public introduction in early February. They often roll these things out to their dealers before the press event, although it's usually not five months ahead. Could you have heard about it from a dealer/customer/Cat rep who has worked with a prototype?

L

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
From what I hear Myers has (or at least had one) and H&K had another tucked away in one of their quarries. After initially hearing about it being on a pipe crew at Marris Grove, I haven't heard anything since, so it may be that it's gone back to G&R. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Cat 953D

I have sat in the seat of a 953D track loader that a local contractor was evaluating for Cat. I have a 2004 953C loader and the new D model is quite different. For starters the radiator is HUGE - looks like the ones they use on the wheel loaders. If this loader will be used clearing and grubbing a radiator guard is definetely needed. The operators view from the cab is much better. More glass has been added to the bottom rear of the cab for better sight distance to the rear corners. The dash is very rounded and enables the operator to see the bottom corners of the bucket.

From what I have heard from people that have operated it is that the machine has a lot more power. Less stalling and track slippage. Also the cab is on hinges - unbolt the front and the cab tilts back like a skid steer.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Actually, the cab tilts forward -- but you get the idea. I saw the machine way back in October 2005 -- but I have no idea how much it's changed since then. Initial testing in December said that operators loved the machine. It's more powerful and quieter than the C-series and also is a more-responsive machine. Visability, as mentioned, is also improved significantly.

What's more important is that the 953D specalog is now on the Cat website -- http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7&location=drop.

I can't attach the pdf here due to file sizes, so if someone wants it, I can email it to him or her.

Deas Plant

953b, C, D.

Hi, Folks.
Well, I personally would hope that the 953D had a bit more going for it than the 953C. I ran a 953B with a 4-in-1 bucket - actually an old 950A bucket adapted - a/c ROPS cab and rippers for over two years. The same company also had a 953C with a standard 4-in-1 bucket (the bucket on the 'B' was about 10-15% larger), a/c ROPS cab and rippers.

The 'B' was far and away the better machine. It handled the bigger bucket with ease, had more grunt, dug, ripped and pushed better, handled hilly ground and slopes better and was generally a much more user-friendly machine. And it DIDN'T have electronics - which meant that we could fix a lot of what little trouble it gave ourselves. Ask KoO about this aspect.

In reasonable digging with the 'B', I could send a 10 metre tipper away loaded in 3 1/2 buckets every time. It was always 4 buckets plus with the 'C'. In fact, on one job, I was working alongside a Cat 350B excavator which was loading the same trucks in just half a bucket less than I was - - - and the 350 was 3 times heavier than the 953B. And it burned a bit more fuel too, not to mention being harder to move.

Just my 0.02 cents.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
From what I hear Myers has (or at least had one) and H&K had another tucked away in one of their quarries. After initially hearing about it being on a pipe crew at Marris Grove, I haven't heard anything since, so it may be that it's gone back to G&R. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

I know it's been almost a year now, but I finally found one of the new D-series loaders we own. Of course I didn't have my camera:Banghead :Banghead but for those of you in the area Myers works. It was sitting right off rt. 29 just south of Collegeville on a new Wawa project. The paint scheme is actually a pre- PowerEdge too.