• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hard Heavy Steering Wheel

ejuan

Hy guys. Need some help here. We have 4 toyota Forklifts, but 2 of them are giving really heavy steering wheel problems. We have tried EVERYTHING, we´ve actually interchanged steering valves between them, but the problem still goes on (both of them have new hydralic pumps). What is a good way to approach heavy steering wheel problems on machinery? This is an area where i don´t have too much experience and is giving me a hard time. BTW relief valve is all the way to the bottom and we've seen no change.

Thanks for your help.

icestationzebra

I am not familiar with Toyota trucks, but there is probably a steering/brake priority valve. And it could be allowing to steering to operate with too little pressure. If you post the model it would help.

ISZ

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
More info

Why new hyd pumps? Was system flushed with new filter on start up, then removed and another new one put in.
Trick is you old pumps wear or damage created shards. The steer valve on forklifts (usually a version of an Orbitrol valve)
will catch the shards/filings a filter won't. Tends to mess up the sync of the cones inside the valve. Just a possibility if
that type valve.

Edit.. Add..
Both of your steer valves are mesed up the same way. Take on off another working truck and install. Bet problen goes away...

Last edited:

ejuan

Thanks for your help guys and sorry for my late reply. It happens that problem was finally solved. It happens that the bottom of the orbitrol was overtightened, and the mechanic installed a new shaft u seal (not OEM) wich was preloaded with an o-ring. We took the Oring out so the shaft could me more loose, and to finish messing things up, I found the gerotor was out of time. Never thought a tight useal or overtightened end cap could mess so much the steering on a forklift.

Has anyone experienced that kind of problems?