• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hammer questions

CATcountry

Occupation
Really?
Thinking of picking up a new hammer for my machines, CAT 226,CAT 305CCR, Bobcat M52. The 226 and the 305 run 18 gpm and the M52 runs 13 gpm. And I'm looking for something I can run on all 3 not sure if it can work because of the weights, what happens when you run a hammer on something lighter than the recommended weight? the M52 will pic 1500 no problem but only weighs 1.5t. Not sure if the hammer needs the weight to keep it together or what? I've run the crap out of hammers from a tb015 to a CAT 330 and in between but never tried to switch them between so many machines.
Frank

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thinking of picking up a new hammer for my machines, CAT 226,CAT 305CCR, Bobcat M52. The 226 and the 305 run 18 gpm and the M52 runs 13 gpm. And I'm looking for something I can run on all 3 not sure if it can work because of the weights, what happens when you run a hammer on something lighter than the recommended weight? the M52 will pic 1500 no problem but only weighs 1.5t. Not sure if the hammer needs the weight to keep it together or what? I've run the crap out of hammers from a tb015 to a CAT 330 and in between but never tried to switch them between so many machines.
Frank

A 500 pound hammer may work between them. Certainly the skid and mini ex. The mini skid should run it but I bet BC doesnt recommend it.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Your limited by the smallest machine, far as I know running a smaller hammer on a bigger machine is no problem.

That may depend on the min and max flow rates of the hammer - run a small hammer on a larger machine and exceed the hammers max flow rate, next thing you know the hammer will go bang:bash

Hendrik

That may depend on the min and max flow rates of the hammer - run a small hammer on a larger machine and exceed the hammers max flow rate, next thing you know the hammer will go bang:bash
Yes but the hammer is supposed to go bang:D
Seriously, yes you are right flow rates and pressures have to be checked but from what I gather the question is in relation to machines that are not that dis-similar.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Yes but the hammer is supposed to go bang:D
Seriously, yes you are right flow rates and pressures have to be checked but from what I gather the question is in relation to machines that are not that dis-similar.

:) If the host machines are similar then please ignore my ignorance with regards to the model numbers!!:beatsme.

Look forward to hearing what happens...

CATcountry

Occupation
Really?
my main interest is running the biggest hammer possible, the pressures are all 3k and the flows are 13(BC) and the two CATs are 18, my direct question in what happens if I run a hammer that says "min. carrier weight 5k" on a 3k machine that will pick it up? My theory says no problem but not sure if the hammer requires that weight on it so its not similar to dryfireing.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
also take into consideration your pins and bushings on the smaller machines more maintenance and repair. also can your machine roll it back in after you roll the tilt out. i put a hammer on a tool cat one time and get my butt chewed for it because it could crack the boom from runing it. Hooked up just fine and ran it but had to set the tip on the ground and back up at the same time to roll it back in.