• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Halla 220 black smoke and lack of power

AKL

hi guy..i'm new to this forum...i have a problem with one of my excavators, which is Halla 220..its similar to Hyundai 220 using a Cummins 6BTA5.9, and kawasaki Hydraulic Pump,the problem is like this the engine has been overhauled by the previous owner, when i bought it only ran for 70hrs..after that there was excessive black smoke, and lack of power when any of the lever is operated even track...then i pull the machine to my workshop and send the fuel pump and injector for service,change new turbocharger and exhaust manifold, change all the filter including hydraulic filters...but the problem is still there,i even called up a hyd pump mechanic and checked the pressure of the pump..it was ok.The engine starts up in one kick..but when it runs i feel that its draging something..i have operated many excavators and repaired them..but i feel that once the engine is start in a normal excavator we won't hear sound of the hyd hoses pump hyd until we engage the safety lever..but in this machine after i start up i could hear sounds of the hyd pump hyd to the control valve.......pls help me solve this problem..cheers

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day ALK
If you operate both arm and boom together do you still get black smoke ?
Regards
Uffex

AKL

hi uffex ..thank for your reply ....the engine dies when i do so ....even if i operate the arm out at the end the engine dies...

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day ALK
Is there a possibility that the pump regulation hose's have been crossed over - the fact the the engine is loaded from start up indicates this kind of issue. Please check the pump pressures with the engine running and the controls in the neutral positions.
Re
Uffex

AKL

thanks for the reply......i'll try to figure that out....you mean that maybe the hoses have been crossed? if you could help me where can i get a hyd diagram for kawasaki pumps..the agent down here are very unreasonable..they won't give you any information like books and manuals....

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day ALK
Sure I can give you a copy of the hydraulic diagram for the KPM unit, you can get it by going to KPM web site, however please be aware that the pump unit appears the same there are variations of the regulation system. If your machine has what is refered to as a negative control the small hose that connects the pump to the valve bank should have about 25-35 bars while the engine runs and nothing is activated. I recommend you fit a couple of pressure gauges to the pumps (0-400bars +) start the machine if you have high pressure its a hydraulic issue if not it comes back to the engine. If you got trouble getting a diagram email me at bucketsense@gmail.com.
Kind regards
Uffex

canadan

Hi I have a he280lc halla, with a labunty shear stick on it. When I lift the main boom or open the shear jaw, it stalls engine fast. All other things ok. AKL are there alot of Halla's in Malaysia? trying to find dash, and under seat computer. @ pressure switches for the main valve bank. I too am having problems finding manuals. Received a e-mail from a guy in Malaysia, saying he can get parts. Wants me to send him 1600 dollars. when he recieves the parts from his supplier, he will send me pics. Kind of scared it is a scam. ty Dan