• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Guy's help me pick out a good farm size track loader with 4-1 and teeth

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
boy that would be the cats meow....... also easy to take oil samples from. wonder if the 943,953 & 963 have cylinder liners that are replaceable come O/H time or if you have to bore the block out ?

jmoney86

boy that would be the cats meow....... also easy to take oil samples from. wonder if the 943,953 & 963 have cylinder liners that are replaceable come O/H time or if you have to bore the block out ?

I'm pretty sure the newer loaders have liners, but my '84 943 has a 3204, and it doesn't. I'm told that Cat only put 2 rings on the piston, which causes blowby issues.
I'm going to bore mine out, sleeve it, and go back with factory spec rings. Heavyquip can get all the parts. I think the older 953's had 3304's in them, and I'm not sure if they had sleeves or not...

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
Boy no liners ...... That means to do a o/h engine has to come completely out....... I ssure would have thought they had sleeves. And 2 rings !!!!!!! No wonder they have blow by. You bet one thing if i get a machine i want linners in it.... That way i can inframe it like a semi engine.........

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
DID some research on the loader engines, heres what i found out.
943 has a 3204,no linners
953 has a 3204, no linners
a 963 has a 3304 has linners
a 973 has a 3306 and has linners

so all but the 963 is out for me. sure pays to do your home work on things.

jmoney86

DID some research on the loader engines, heres what i found out.
943 has a 3204,no linners
953 has a 3204, no linners
a 963 has a 3304 has linners
a 973 has a 3306 and has linners

so all but the 963 is out for me. sure pays to do your home work on things.

Now, I believe starting with the 953c, they started putting 3116's or 3126's in them. Somebody with a later model machine care to chime in?

Rusted

Now, I believe starting with the 953c, they started putting 3116's or 3126's in them. Somebody with a later model machine care to chime in?

You are right, I believe the first 953C's series 2ZN had the 3116, the later BBX series C's had the 3126B.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
I want a mechanical fuel injection engine. The electronic f/i is the "c" and "d" also they start with all the epa emissions stuff. I believe the "d" even has the additive system you put in for the exhaust. Boy is that expensive to run and maintain.

Dickjr.

Bob , sent you a pm with info about 43 and 53B. It'd be a good weekend trip come up Friday night , run them the next day make a decision head home Sunday morning. Its 2 hours North of Nashville or possible you may want to go through Somerset then Cumberland Parkway. You could even pull oil samples and send off for more insurance. I've done all I can do , the balls in your corner.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
Thanks think i,am gonna be in the market for a 963. Looked at one today but it sure was ruff gonna pass on it. Its in greeneville , tn. And on ebay now.

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
About 3 years ago we bought a 1989 963 open cab that needed about 3000$ worth of work, but had 100% brand new cat u/c and was a very good running machine and we paid 18000$.We bought it from L and L equipment in fairview, tn. They have been good to deal with on what we have bought from them, you might want look at what they have on machinery trader.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
You are right, I believe the first 953C's series 2ZN had the 3116, the later BBX series C's had the 3126B.

The B's have the 3116 engine in them as well. The "A" models had the 4 cylinder.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

The early 63s with the 3304 seem like they have better power than the 63B and C. Especially in wet condtions when you turn and sink down , just seems to bog down the 3116 as the machine weighs over 40k pounds. I always wondered what the 3306 would be like in a 63. Certainly wouldn't use any more fuel. It seems a 63 can be bought resonable for under 30 in good condition. I did have a A model 63 rented , it was sluggish as far as the trans response. A 963C with 3800 hrs , full cab one owner just sold for 30k here about a month ago.I didn't learn of it until it was sold or it would be mine. Good luck. Check out ironplanet auctions. They offer a return policy on the ironclad assurance machines. I have bought from them and did refuse a machine. Had my money back in 2 weeks.

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
I have a 953 A for use on the farm. It does the job perfectly. If you get into stumps, you will have to do some digging, but it will drop just about any tree you will encounter with ease, load it and stack it into a pile. Track loaders are not good in wet or soft ground.

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
My cat dealer told me the 963's that were mechanical engines had 3304's. I,d rather have a 3116, they was very good old style engines and gave no trouble.

Dickjr.

The 3116 has no liners. I thought you wanted one you could inframe? All the 3116 were mechanical , the 3126 they went to ecm and had the push button idle control.

Last edited:

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
I,AM GETTING confused here. probably my ignorance but i want a 963"B" WHICH is the last model 963 that was a mechanical fuel injection engine and it is supposed to have the 3304 which has linners right ?

Dickjr.

All the 63B have 3116.The A models have the 3304 which in my opinion is as good or better, seem to have good torque. Ritchie Specs has all the info on these machines. None were ecm until 2004 , I think. The 3116 is good in the 53 as it has good power for size. I look at it like this a 53 equals a D5 so the 3116 is ok , the 63 is at the weight of a D6R so to me its a little light in power with the 3116. They are harder on fuel also. My thoughts and that only a 3306 would be awesome in the 63 and I can't see it using much more if any fuel as the smaller motor is always lugging.