• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gutless 226B2

OLDDODGETRUCKS

Hello,

I recently picked up a cat 226B2 MJH10834 5300 hours 3024C turbo diesel engine
Machine requires glow plug cycle to start when cold (no big deal 5300 hours)
Once running machine has low power, very slow throttle response, will bog down with machine moving around unloaded.
Will restart when warm just takes a few revolutions to get going.
No smoke from exhaust, no blow by, no audible engine miss/stumble
New air filters, new fuel filter, cleaned screen in mechanical fuel pump, started siphon on fuel pickup hose from tank good flow, 6-7psi fuel pressure at inlet to injection pump, adjusted valves cold 8 thousandths inlet/exhaust.
Compression test warm brought 450 psi on all 4 cylinders.

I am getting ready to pull injection pump/injectors for testing and to inspect the governor linkage in the process unless you guys can think of a different path to head down?

ThreeCW

Before you tear into the injection pump / injectors, have a look at your fuel/water separator housing and give it a thorough cleaning. You may have a partial blockage in that housing that has caused a similar problem with other members.

Have a read of this thread for more information: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-226-fuel-problem.78929/

Have a look at "heymccall's" post #11 in that thread for a photo of the section of the housing that may become plugged.

OLDDODGETRUCKS

Nige,
I checked again today with a better gauge and i have 10 psi to at the pump and good flow.
A few more things i tried today...
Removed fuel filter housing disassembled and cleaned (no blockage)
Bypassed machine lift pump/Tank and ran 12V electric pump from a clean fuel can direct to injection pump, no difference
Removed fuel shutoff solenoid and ran machine without
removed front cover confirmed governor assembly/springs are all in tact/ cam/crank timing is correct
removed injection pump, has 2 shims stacked a 4 and a 5, removed one shim to "Advance timing" seemed to make it run worse
Machine continues to be hard to start and poor throttle response, going to have injectors and pump tested.