• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Growing Pains.. First Dump Truck - F800 purchase

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
I live in Oregon and California has trucks that need to leave the state because of regulations. I have a lead on an 88 F800 that sounds like it would be perfect for my growing business. A little back story to paint the picture..

5 years ago I started business with a Stihl FS110 weed eater at a 76 toyota pickup. since then I have upgraded the truck(s) to a 97 F250 7.3 4x4 with a 5 speed. The tractor has gone from a little 25 horse to a 2017 New Holland 40 horse tractor (early this last spring and a 2006 Bobcat T300 with attachments about 2 months ago. The truck will pull everything, but stopping sucks and honestly, it just isn't wise for the long term. With the T300 and 8.5' mow deck and the trailer, I am close to 15k.

I feel like this F800 would be a fantastic option for the business and would allow more work for the bobcat and even the tractor. I don't know **** about dump trucks. I have just been building the business over time and as the money comes in. I am curious if anyone has advice on the dump truck. I know it is on the older side, but it seems very well loved and responsibly worked. The man has used it for his excavation business and does not want to sell it, but can't use it. He has owned it for almost 20 years and before that it was a county truck. Air brakes, 30k weight, 7.8L with 260k miles, automatic and is set up with a transfer for fueling.

Again, I don't know anything about running a dump truck or what goes on behind the scenes of owning one, but I feel it is an appropriate and responsible next step. If I could afford to buy newer I would, but with the other purchases and winter coming, I want to keep things a little tighter. It is already my biggest year of growth, so a "cheap truck - $6k - seems like a good option.

I have the CDL permit test on Tuesday o_O

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
Should I scrap the idea of the 30K weight and find something similar but under 26? The owner of this one just seems like such a genuinely good person, which means something to me when I buy things used. This feels like a good deal and a fitting addition to the business, I just am apprehensive because it is uncharted territory ( as is/was the Bobcat ). Two new to me but used machines could be an unexpected nightmare.

But it could also be a great next step....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you pass your tests keep the weight capacity. The F800 is likely Hydraulic(Juice) brakes with the Lucas Girling parking system, is a positive improvement from a pickup but not a great deal improved due to age. Inspect the bed for Cracks, splits at welds, leaks on hydraulics. CA trucks are coming out cheap as have nothing they can do with them In State. Next up, Gas or Diesel? Gas is a issue with sitting, parts from Ford are a bit lean but doable aftermarket for most general repair pieces.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Don’t forget about insurance. Anything with a dump bed is going to go into much higher price category. Don’t ask me how I know, but I know.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That actually sounds like quite a good truck to take your business another step. But even 20 years ago it was already somewhat obsolete but if you are clever you can figure most of the parts. Don't pay very much for it. Does it have trailer air already plumbed?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
If you take the driving test in a automatic that means you will get a restriction on your CDL for automatic only you will have to take the CDL again if you decide to get another rig with manual transmission. At least that's what they do in MT I'm sure it's the same in OR.

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
I don’t have much way to include a photo on here or I would. It’s on Craigslist and from Watsonville. The pictures on the ad are trash though.
It does have air brakes, air tailgate and air pintle hitch. I don’t think there is air to a trailer, but maybe. Not that I can tell from the photos though, but unless it is using a regular air coupler - I would probably miss it anyway.

this truck won’t be my daily, but it would definitely be used for the Bobcat. My working area is small, mix of small town and rural, so I think the truck will be enough in the way of power and general getting around. The biggest city is 70k with a few small communities around it.

it is the 7.8 Brazilian and an Allison 4 speed (545 pretty sure). The owner is an owner operator of a few pieces of equipment and some temporary employees in his busy times. I’ve spoken with him probably 4 times over the phone and we get along well. He wants the truck to go to a good home and I want to give it one.

I’m aware the insurance will go up a chunk. I figure that is just part of the cost of growing and I have wanted a dump truck or trailer for years and this would potentially allow for added growth and services offered.

Again. I’m nervous because it is unfamiliar territory for me, but my guts are telling me this is all a good thing. - scary is good, right?

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
Yeah, the transmission thing is the same here. My issue is that I don’t have access to another truck. As it is, if this deal works out I will have to have the truck brought up here by a hauling company ($1400) just so I can use it for my CDL test.

unless I can find a dope that wants to let me use their truck for my test so I can drive the Ford back up legally...

Any takers?

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
Is anyone seeing any red flags anywhere? If I could afford more truck I would, but I kinda blew most of my money/debt on the T300. I feel like I will make more with the skid than the truck, but they can compliment each other and increase my safety.

when I view the truck, is there anything I should look for or ask about? I am going to have him go over all the ins and outs of the truck when I am there. He says it’s old and used, but incredibly reliable and wants to work.

weak points or common issues? I’ve looked on line and seen the transmission can be weak for applications like a school bus, but the smaller dumpers seem okay.

he says he has never had to open the engine or transmission in the years he has had it. Just bolt on repairs/ maintenance. I think my main concern is knowing what to look for in the air system. I get the basic operation of it, but like I have said, this is new territory.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Presence of a air drier, records as to all machine services and the repairs he stated were bolt on. Look over all four springs for busted leaves, obvious indications of shifting as large scraped or bare sections of leaf showing, Body work alluding to wreck damage, functionality of gauges and warning buzzers(Air is on below 90-95PSI), Check ALL the lighting get it up to full air pressure shut it off listen for obvious leaks. Leaks of any kind.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Presence of a air drier, records as to all machine services and the repairs he stated were bolt on. Look over all four springs for busted leaves, obvious indications of shifting as large scraped or bare sections of leaf showing, Body work alluding to wreck damage, functionality of gauges and warning buzzers(Air is on below 90-95PSI), Check ALL the lighting get it up to full air pressure shut it off listen for obvious leaks. Leaks of any kind.
Sounds about the things one would find on the CDL road test...

SOFieldMowing

Occupation
Field Mower
The tires all look good in the photos that were texted, and they match. I could see the fittings all looked like they get regular grease and the bed looks clean with minimal dents and such. The guy says he rarely moves boulders, concrete or the like. Often fill dirt and gravel.

gonna have to paint the cab though. I can’t do that county color.