• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove TM 9120 120ton.

Evans

Greetings to you all.i am contemplating to buy a big crane and I have settled on this tm9120 grove.how good is this crane? I have two offers but one from a "well maintained fleet"with about 23000 hours on the upper engine .The other one has 8000 hours and has been parked for a while . Note sure which route to go.i can't do site visits ,
Does working hour really matter?

crane operator

Big heavy and strong. Would be some of the last trapezoid booms made. Not a lot of main boom for a 120 ton crane compared with the modern all terrain cranes, but a much simpler boom and suspension system.

Most are cummins upstairs and down. I think in your overseas market and support it would be a great larger sized crane, because they are pretty simple and are very overbuilt. Great for quarry/ mining work.

I came close to buying one a couple years ago, but my allowable axle loads make it too heavy of a crane for me to transport locally. 11' wide makes it kind of a handful if you have narrow roads, which I do in my local area.

If you want to send me the links to the cranes your looking at by private message, I'll look at the pictures and tell you what I think. If they are here in the states, someone may be able to look at them for you.

The 1" cable on the winches is great for big line pull, but its kind of a handful when you have to reeve block, becket isn't quite like 5/8" cable.

Be aware that if it has a PAT GW ds350 computer control system upstairs, there are no parts available for the in cab display. You can replace it with a maestro, but its a $6,000 replacement the last one I priced. If it just a PAT 350, those are repairable, the GW versions are not.

I think the hours on the upper don't wear out a crane like they do on a excavator where they are beating the bushings and pins out of it. A lot of lower hours/ driving time is more expensive wear on a crane. Probably the most worry I would have on it would be if you would have issues in the planetary rears, in finding parts for them.

Probably rockwell or eaton rears, so not impossible to find, they just won't be setting on the shelf at the local truck parts store. I don't know what 14.00r24 rubber is like to find in africa either for the tires. Probably just have to stock your own spares.

Evans

Thanks Crane Operator, I will send link for both cranes on your private messages. Let me know what you think and advise.