• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove 5175 LMI Issues - Help!

wpchrist

Our 1996 Grove GMK 5175 has been having issues with the LMI. When I telescope out section 1, the readout on the LMI for section one doesn't change (stays at zero). However the readout for section 2 changes while I'm telescoping section one. For example, if i have section 2 out 100% and start telescoping section one out, the section two readout will slowly count up, 101, 102, 103, etc until it gets to 200% when section one is all the way out. s the LMI knows that section one is booming out, it just doesn't know where to record it. If I telescope section one out while section 2 is at zero%, the section two readout starts reading 1, 2, 3...up to 100%.

The readouts for sections 3 and 4 aren't working correctly either. If calibrated to zero when they're all the way in, the readouts will start to count up, but they count up slower than the sections are actually going out. So the readouts never never reach 100% even when all the way out.

Also, when I'm telescoping either section one or two out, the readout for section three and four start changing as well. And they count backwards. So, if the readout for sections 3 and 4 are at 50% when i start telescoping one or two out, the readouts for 3 and 4 start dropping and will even go negative.

Remember, sections three and for move simultaneously on this crane - can't move em separate.

I've changed the Potentiometers on the spools on the boom, checked the fuses on the data transmitters and LMI, recalibrated the Potentiometers with the sections at zero, and at 100, and at 50.

The LMI is an EKS3. The boom angle indicator still works. The current load indicator is only right when all four sections are at zero percent and when section two is at 50% (0-5-0-0) or 100% (0-1-0-0). that makes sense to me because that is the only time the readout for the boom coincides with how the boom is configured. It allows the computer to accurately calculate for the increased pressure on the derricking cylinder from the amount of boom telescoped out. Any other boom configurations don't show up properly in the readout on the LMI so the computer is using faulty data to calculate weight. The radius and max weight indicators only read properly when all four sections are at zero percent and when section two is at 50% (0-5-0-0) or 100% (0-1-0-0). That makes sense for the same reasons as for the current weight readout.

We always had issues with the readouts for the boom sections needing to be recalibrated if we move sections 3 and 4 out to 100%. In fact, we'd sometimes have other problems then too. Like 3 and 4 wouldn't come back in unless I moved sections one and two out to 100% as well, and then sucked 3 and 4 back in. We never use 100% on 3 and 4 to do work in the yard. Just never need it. We only move them out that far for maintenance. The last time we did maintenance, 3 and 4 got "stuck" out at 100% until I took 1 and 2 out to 100%. Then 3 and 4 came back in but this time the LMI issue showed up. Everything was working fine right before that.

Has anyone ever seen an LMI act like this? I'm on the tech's schedule but he's booked a little ways out.

wpchrist

Its been too long since I've messed with a eks 3. I would try the guys at Bode tech or Basil equipment, see if they can be of any help.
https://basilequipment.com/

http://bodetechnicalservices.com/

http://bodetechnicalservices.com/portfolio-items/krupp-kmk-5110-eks83-failure/

Thanks again. This is a great referral. The EKS3 project that Bode Technical Services worked on sounds just like our problem. I'll call them tomorrow (if I get a chance - we have a full schedule so I'll be in the crane most of the day). I'll let you know what i find out.