• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Will_M

Thank you Cory.
I'm sure the power is just going to be a matter of tuning things up or just making adjustments.
It has a P7100 pump on it. I'm going to start with adjustments to the fuel screw, checking boost to see if the wastegate actuator is working properly and I have a new diaphragm coming for the AFC controller.
Hopefully I'll hit on something simple!

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Wow-very nice, those are cool looking rigs. I like the Red Dot on top, classic.

Thank you Cory.
I'm sure the power is just going to be a matter of tuning things up or just making adjustments.
It has a P7100 pump on it. I'm going to start with adjustments to the fuel screw, checking boost to see if the wastegate actuator is working properly and I have a new diaphragm coming for the AFC controller.
Hopefully I'll hit on something simple!
I have the VE pump and no wastegate tuning will be a little different.My reading says you have a much better injection pump.Hopefully it is something simple....

Will_M

New issue came up today.
We've put a couple hundred kilometers on it now and today we were going up a hill on the highway in 5th gear, doing about 95kmh. Truck was running good but a strange sound starting coming from the transmission and it felt like the truck lost power. By the time I came off the throttle and put the signal light on to pull over, the engine died. I put the clutch in and the engine came back to life on its own. I got out to have a look and smoke was pouring out of the back of the engine and you could smell burning clutch. No fluid leaking anywhere to cause the smoke, engine oil pressure and water temperature were both good. It's a brand new clutch in it but something caused it to smoke.
We started driving again to get it home. The strange noise in the transmission was gone and it shifted fine, I don't think the new clutch is completely shot but now there's a ticking sound from the back of the engine that changes with rpm, it happens whether it's in gear or neutral. I think the ticking is coming from the bell housing/clutch but I'm not 100% sure.
I don't even know where to start on this one.

Will_M

No, it's the Getrag 5 speed.

I'm happy it got me home and seems to function properly, aside from the ticking, but now I'm a little concerned about where and when is it going to happen again and will it leave me stuck on the side of the road next time.
That and it either ruined a brand new clutch or at least took a few years off of its life.

Welder Dave

After all the work you did I'd pull it apart and find the problem. The fact it let you make it home is like it's telling you something needs to be looked at before it causes really expensive damage or worse... a terrible accident. The truck is talking to you.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I agree with these guys, you know it's not correct and it won't fix itself. Better to fix it in your shop then sit on the side of the road when it's pouring down rain in the dark hoping somebody doesn't run into you.

Will_M

Update.
We took the transmission out, only half of the friction surface on the new clutch we put in was contacting the flywheel. The old flywheel was perfectly smooth and the old clutch was making contact along the entire surface. There was still plenty of life left in the new clutch but I replaced it and the old flywheel with a new South Bend clutch and flywheel.
We ran the engine without the clutch and transmission on, it's still ticking so it's something on the engine. Transmission looks almost new, no signs of failure or damage.
Mechanics are thinking the ticking might be coming from an injector, possible result of the truck sitting as long as it did. We have a new set of injectors on the way, there going to open up the top end again when they're installing them to do a valve set and make sure they're isn't something wrong inside the new head we installed on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_125747.jpg
    IMG_20230716_125747.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 18

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Good to hear Will...I have a 13 1/2 inch dual disc south bend clutch,flywheel and hydrolics in my truck..It is over kill but i bought it and my NV4500 from a failed project...It is very nice stuff and the clutch is very smooth..The ticking injector makes sense to me...Good luck with it all..