• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grid heater 580sm2

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Don't seem to have power to grid heater according to test light. Relays aren't labeled well. Switched around some of the "power" relays. Fuses good.

Dash light I think used to come on and stay on for a while depending upon outside temp. then go off when ready to start. Now dash light blinks constantly for 2 maybe 3 minutes before it goes out.

Do these grid heaters burn out.....but why no voltage.

Not preheating according to temp gun. Harder starting than normal. What's wrong. Thanks in advance

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If I'm not mistaken the grid heater only comes on below 60 degrees at key on, and stays on for about 30 seconds or so. That being said have you ohmed the grid itself?

j&d

Occupation
If I'm not mistaken the grid heater only comes on below 60 degrees at key on, and stays on for about 30 seconds or so. That being said have you ohmed the grid itself?

Thanks Coy, Been blinking for weeks, just getting around to fixin it, always worked before. 30 seconds seems bout right when it worked....used to cycle 2 times when it was cold....maybe that was a mistake.

Your right when it's warm light don't illuminate....or in my case, blink.

Heck I aint smart nuff to run a meter or own a workin one....but I'll see if I can get one on it over the week end.

Guess i hoped somebody knew what it means when light blinks instead of just illuminates continually like I remember.

Thanks.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Before I retired I made a cheater to plug into the sensor wire up at the front on top of the engine. IIRC a 1500 ohm resistor keeps the grid heater activated by duplicating the resistance of a cold sender, I got a 1500 ohm resistor and bent the leads to fit the plug pins, put it in a red injector tip cover and filled the cap with epoxy. Seen it the other day, still in my box, probably never use it again.

j&d

Occupation
Found it. Finally got around to getting the thing fixed. Just in case anyone is interested or searches for this issue, I'm gonna give some tips.
Seems the case engineers thought it a good idea to hide some relays in a small remote area between the rear engine firewall and the cab. One relay is for the grid heater. Mine had a bad connection which melted the relay slightly but did not blow the 100 amp bar style fuse.

Again there are other relays in there. I got a wiring diagram from a dealer or I'd have never found it.

Not a bad job, but requires removing rear hood and air intake cover on side. Then the air filter had to be unbolted and pushed to the side to get to relay fastened to left side of machine.

I replaced the relay without even disconnecting the battery..... I know..... But i can still say nothing got welded on that machine yet.

Thanks and good luck. Jeff.

RJM59LP

have a 2005 or 6 580M wouldn't shut off problem was grid heater relay stuck closed was backfeeding voltage to shutoff solenoid drove me crazy had to choke intake with a block of wood to shut off relay is behind rubber flap behind air filter canister on side of frame follow large cable from grid heater to find it anyone know where to get replacement part

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You should be able to find one at your local parts store like NAPA. Take old one with you to match up. Other than that your closest Case dealer.