• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Green Strobes

hvy 1ton

Anybody else noticing contractors using green strobes on their trucks? 2 paving contractors and a traffic control company have green strobes on their newest trucks on top of the normal amber/white.

mitch504

Whether that is legal or not varies from state to state.

And, no, I haven't seen any around here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've seen a few of the larger companies with green and white on their pickups. As far as I know it's legal to run green lights in AL. All the private security aka Mall Cops run green light bars.

Personally I would rather have orange and white.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It's a scientific reason for the green lights. Studies have shown that drunks are more likely to be drawn into red,blue, and amber flashing lights. The green goes unnoticed by drunks.
So are you trying to tell me that if I have never seen a green strobe then I must be a drunk?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Problem one are those undiagnosed with seizures related to mild epilepsy, flashing lights can cause a lock up type seizure, color of that flashing light can contribute.

BigWrench55

I read about this some time back. Studies show that drunks are more likely to focus in and drive toward the red, blue, and amber lights. They see the green lights but for whatever reason they aren't drawn into them.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That makes more sense.
On a different note,but in the same thought, I sure wish that NHTSA would enact a rule for intensity. I don't need to know someone is broke down if I'm in outer space. For that matter , headlights don't need to be as bright as they are. I shouldn't have to wear welding glasses at night. :mad:

seville009

That makes more sense.
On a different note,but in the same thought, I sure wish that NHTSA would enact a rule for intensity. I don't need to know someone is broke down if I'm in outer space. For that matter , headlights don't need to be as bright as they are. I shouldn't have to wear welding glasses at night. :mad:

I’ve flashed a few of the newer Superduties that have double daytime led lights - realized later that they were low beam. Still very bright even in daylight.

Truck Shop

Back in the 70's early 80's there quite a few OTR's running air craft landing lights. If you crossed a a scale in the 11 western states and the weigh master saw them he would red light the rig
walk out with a bat and knock them out. Then tell the driver to pickup the pieces. Saw one at Shasta get that treatment. DOT had zero tolerance when it came to those lights. And rightly so.

kshansen

Occupation
I wish the various states could have gotten together many years ago and decided on a standard for colors of emergency warning lights. In on state blue is vol.firemen and another it's state police and so on!

As for the green guess I won't be noticing any tonight as wife served some wine with dinner and two small glasses is a bit beyond my limit! Yea I'm a cheap drunk! If I go to a local micro-brew pub and get a flight of 4 four ounce samples to try I am just lucky wife is driving as I would not be safe at any speed!

JD955SC

Seen some wheel loaders with green beacons instead of the normal orange/yellow but not trucks or signage otherwise

My branch supports one major interstate work project and the safety requirements for that job are very high. No backing up, have to wear special reflective sleeves and leggings in addition to vests (our normal uniforms with reflective stripes aren’t enough for their requirement), have to wear a hard hat halo light at night, support vehicles such as pickups and service trucks have to have 360 visible lights/strobes, have to have a special sign on the rear of the vehicle saying you are a construction vehicle. I was nervous as all get out when I had to go out there to diagnose a machine.

kshansen

Occupation
I was nervous as all get out when I had to go out there to diagnose a machine.

There are times I think construction sites should hire ex-military snipers to protect workers, shoot a few idiots and post it on the news and I bet the other drivers out there would learn to slow down and move over pretty fast. If that's too much just give the snipers paint ball guns to mark the cars!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There are times I think construction sites should hire ex-military snipers to protect workers, shoot a few idiots and post it on the news and I bet the other drivers out there would learn to slow down and move over pretty fast. If that's too much just give the snipers paint ball guns to mark the cars!

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE, I want to Volunteer on the paintball use!!!!!!! Am retired and dearly despise IDIOT Drivers!!

Don.S

Maybe it is different where you guys live but here in Montreal we have two seasons one is winter and the other is road construction. The speed that work gets done at is absolutely pathetic. They will shut a three lane highway down to one lane then do a day of work and go on the two week construction holiday and leave it as one lane. After a while you just become numb to the orange cones and flashing light and totally forget that at some places there are actually people working and lives at risk as you fly past.