• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Greaseing turn table Cat 12G

Bala

The turn table is sticking

From underneath the turn table where the swivel drive motor and gears are should the surfaces where all the plastic blocks run be greased?

cheers

Max

grandpa

The turn table is sticking

From underneath the turn table where the swivel drive motor and gears are should the surfaces where all the plastic blocks run be greased?

cheers

Max

Well, there's two school's of thought,, those that say grease it, and those that say don't. LOL ,, great help i know. I have two G's and i've been doing an experiment for about a year now. One is being greased and one is not.. So far there has been no difference's in service... both need adjusting about the same time. I do think the drive gear is wearing a little faster on the non greased one.

Maybe in another year I will be able to give you a better opinion.... Grampa

Bala

It was sticking and we have only just got it, then I found that it had just had new blocks and been shimmed for the same problem. I was not sure of the compound of the wear blocks with regard to grease, the operator has greased it and now it is good. we are in a wet tropical area so rust can form overnight on bare metal. i think grease will be the go here.

Thanks

Max

Max

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The argument against using grease, particularly in dusty conditions, is that it combines with the dust and produces something like a grinding paste that takes out the wear shoes faster. If the movement of the circle is not totally smooth after having had new shoes and been "adjusted" I would personally suspect the procedure set the circle clearance to the pinion and also to adjust the shoes. Maybe the circle isn't even correctly centralized.

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Max, We used a spray dry graphite on the turn tables top and bottom and even the slide bushings, it handles the rust issue, lubes them and dirt and sand doesn't stick to it like it will with grease. best of luck...Clyde

DPete

Max, We used a spray dry graphite on the turn tables top and bottom and even the slide bushings, it handles the rust issue, lubes them and dirt and sand doesn't stick to it like it will with grease. best of luck...Clyde
Same here, I had a dealer mechanic scold me for greasing the circle. Went to dry lube on the brass shoes and still grease the pinion.

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Mitch, pretty sure it the same stuff but we used a couple local companies brands were available and cheaper, when I get a chance I'll see who made them ....Clyde

Bala

thanks to all for the info,
As far as the adjustment goes this grader and a roller just come out of a cat dealer after service and pre purchase inspection, and the turntable was done. But that means nothing now days and especially where i am working.

We are in a wet tropic location, it is very wet most of the time,dust is really not much of an issue, Iwould love to see some dut!! So we will just use grease, my operators are less than ideal. Local labor is cheap and we have to use it as part of the deal. If it were my machine i would be using dry lubes as suggested.

cheers

max

surfer-joe

Greasing the turntable wear slides is a bad idea -- if you plan to keep the blade for a long time. If it's a short project and you intend to get rid of the machines, grease away. I'd have to say however, that your circle is probably not adjusted properly, as a Cat blade with a properly adjusted set of slides does not stick. No one ever said said that Cat mechanics are perfect. They can be undertrained, or just had a bad day. Call the dealer out and have them rework the adjustments under a service or sales warranty.

Good Luck!

Bala

Thanks for the iput, In the long term i will work out how to set this turntable up properly myself, at the moment i have a few other machines to fix that are more important. I know mechanics can have a bad day, i am one and I do.
I received a roller and a grader that went in to cat dealer for 500hr services and pre purchase inspection. The grader was to have the turntable repaired as it was an existing problem, it also come with no transmission oil showing on the dipstick. the roller has a coolant leak from the back of the water pump, low hyd oil and a vibe problem that was supposed to have been fixed, as well as other misc items. oil and water pump will be on the next plane. I could wear one or two items but this is a bit much. As far as calling the dealer, its a 3 leg plane flight to get the ones that worked on it here or a 3 day each way barge trip, so thats not going to happen.
Thats cool though, dirt will get moved, wheels will turn and machines will break down, thats life here

cheers

max

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Setting a grader circle is not difficult, but it needs to be done to a procedure (in other words in a certain order) and you can't afford to either skip steps or assume that something is right "because it looks OK". PM me with your machine Serial Number prefix and an e-maill address. I can send you a complete procedure for the process lifted from the Service Manual.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Several years ago I replaced all the wear slides in our Deere blade circle. I methodically read the service manual and adjusted everything to the manual specs. The circle would bind in a couple positions. It would move past them but slowly. I ran it and naturally, it eventually loosened up and worked fine.

As Nige said it's not a difficult procedure but is extremely delicate for such big equipment. I wanted my circle as tight as possible so adjusted everything to minimum clearance specs which turned out to be a little too tight.

I don't use grease to lube. I use slip plate or any teflon dry lube.

Bala

Surfer Joe, I am working in a lovely part of the world, limestone island covered in rain forest surrounded by coral reefs and deep ocean. I would prefer that the company I work for was not here. But some one will be cause there is gold in them there hills, so clear the tress and dig we will.

Nige, appreciate the offer, i have to organize manuals etc, I will get back to you in a few weeks with machine details( sooner i will get someone to send them to me), I dont have them on hand and I fly home in a couple of hours for my break

thanks

Max

surfer-joe

Keep us posted in your spare time Nige. I too, was once posted to a small island surrounded by the briny deep. I didn't like it which is why I never attempted to repeat it. Don't think there was ever any gold there however, only a few tourist dollars. Mind the bugs and other critters! If we can help you, don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck!