• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grease guns

bigshow

This is pretty long winded so please bare with me, I have been pondering the purchase of a Milwaukee M12 cordless grease gun, mainly because I keep a couple small impacts and cordless ratchets in my tool truck that utilize the M12 batteries. I'm a stickler for high quality tools and have had bad luck with the original Lincoln cordless grease guns, so therefor I have been a diehard fan of the Cat model Pro-L grease gun and will NOT use anything less/else. I even have a 35 lb. Lincoln air unit with a hose reel in my tool truck and still use the Cat grease gun, hell, I've had the same gun for over 5 years, and with the aid of an everyday wipe down of ether, it still looks and works like brand new. Now to the point of all this jibberish, I like heavy hitting manual grease guns, 10,000 p.s.i. kinds of grease guns, the kind that paint your arch-nemesis' windshield from 10' away, the only cordless unit I've found that will produce roughly that kind of pressure is an Alemite, the huge li-ion 18v Lincoln puts out ~8,500p.s.i., the small Milwaukee claims ~8,500 also, it also claims to pump 7 tubes of grease on one 12 volt battery in a perfect world. Does anyone have the Milwaukee?, or any other suggestions for GOOD cordless grease guns that aren't huge, but pack a whollop?

AndrewC

I had an alemite that was rated for 10000psi. I loved it, it would push grease through frozen up joints but being on a service truck seemed to kill the batteries after four years which I think wasn't great. I had a local battery company rebuild the batteries but I never got the same life out of it. In the last year I have had bad luck with all my cordless tools and have replaced them with air tools as I have a compressor on my truck. I run a lincon air grease gun on my truck. I works excellent except with cold grease. The alemite cost me $250 and the list was around $500 at the time. The lincon cost me $125. I have found the lincon can tighten tracks on most excavators up to an 850DLC as long as the grease is not frozen (we dont run winter grease)
If I were to do it again I would buy the new style lincon air guns as the old ones had a cast piece were the grease line hooked up and was easy to break. If it had to be a cordless I think I would buy another alemite but keep the batteries a little more maintained rather than have them freezing and then trying to get them to work.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
lincoln cordless guns are junk, imho. i have an alemite manual gun and love it. it pumps harder than any gun i have ever owned.

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
I've had Milwaukee M12 for around 2 years and it will pump 7 tubes no problem on a battery .I like the handle and the long hose . it has greased every pin , adjusted every track I tried It on. I would highly recommend it .and use Milwaukee stuff already so you no its quality and you have spare batteries already.

Ace K

Occupation
Boat Ninja
Love the Milwaukee I second what PAcattech said, however I still have to use my manual on some fittings on the junk. It does take a bigger 12v battery.

tdozer

I've also had very good luck with the Milwaukee gun. On a warm day it will pump 6-7 tubes on one charge. Even if its below freezing it will pump 4-5 tubes. I think that's pretty damn good. I too have a bunch of tools that use the M12 battery,that convienence is another added bonus.
I will never buy another Lincoln p.o.s.

blitz138

Yup, thats the Alemite one. I always used the 14 v. Weird that the 14 v goes to 10,000 psi and the 18v only goes to 8500 psi. About three years ago Alemite switched to the lithium-ion battery. It made a huge difference on how long the battery lasts.

As far as lincolns go they seem to be hit or miss

BlazinSS934

No brainer on getting the M12 grease jobby!!!! I have so many pieces of the M12 line that ifmy wife ever found out I'd be in deep poo ! Lol

PhilDirt

I have a Milwaukee and love it. I have to be careful not to over tighten my tracks with it, it's never failed to fill a fitting so far. 6 or 7 tubes on a charge no sweat.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
My 14.4 Lincoln is a great gun,will pump till the cows come home and will push grease through some frozen pins,so I have no idea what some of you guys are talking about.

bigshow

Thanks for all the feedback, so the least I can do is let you folks know what I decided and why. I bought the M12 due to the battery compatibility with other small tools I have, had I not owned other M12 batteries I would have jumped on the Alemite cordless units.

bigshow

So far, so good, put 6 tubes through before needing to change the battery, and it's been fairly cold here also. Puts out quite a bit of grease per cycle of the pump, fairly light weight and compact compared to some others I've had in my hands. For the price you can't go wrong.