• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

gravel / graded base stabilization with calcium

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
So I have a new/recycled tool that's great at stirring up the roadway to fill in potholes and make it easier for the blade to work the road surface. What I'd like to do is to fill up from a pond a trio of IBC tanks in the back of the truck using a trash pump. I'd like to add a little calcium to the water as its loaded and I'm wondering if pouring it into the pump screen would provide enough time and agitation to mix up and not settle out in the tanks. I know calcium gets hot when mixed but I'm thinking 6 bags total for 160 pounds of calcium in 700 ish gallons of water.

I usually put it on dry with a seed spreader but think wet might be a good way to go as soon as everything is churned up to keep the dust down while the loader acts like a road roller. only dealing with about half a mile of dirt road.

hvy 1ton

Are we talking dehydrated lime? I know ag lime slurry takes a significant amount of agitation to keep it from settling out. Might be necessary to have pump recirculating some amount to keep it agitated.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Naah, just dowflake, calcium chloride, I know it'll be well under the suggested 30% by weight but we have had good luck with the dry application to keep dust down.

Delmer

That will dissolve fairly easily. You might have to agitate the water to get it to all dissolve, I doubt it though. Once it's dissolved it won't separate.

I thought you meant quicklime, which brought up a couple different questions.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
well, quicklime is pretty good with mud! But yeah, I'm thinking a small amount and pour it right into the pump intake as the tanks are filling. That should provide some good agitation with luck