• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

grading a driveway

ttazzman

I maintain several miles of roads on my own property...depending on the condition and the type of gravel on the road...(i have some that are creek gravel some that are 3/4 base, etc)

#1 way
D4h III with PAT....usually i back drag with it blade angled with outside edge twards me and the outside edge tight on the ground with the middle up to where i am crowning the middle ....do both sides of the road that way...this way any excess is in the middle to rework and i am covering my tracks as i go

#2 way i have a 1000# hydralic box blade that works like a charm on my tractor(i agree with gman you need a heavy box blade that will cut)(this is the quickest way to cover a lot of ground)

#3 way use a Skidsteer or tractor with appropriate width loader bucket and back drag

also ....if your adding material damp material works much better in my opinion

3/4 base.....and smaller is the only thing to use unless your bridging soft spots

of course on a wide road where you can lose excess of the sides you can do things much differently but i have developed the above techincs on my one lane narrow roads where i dont want to have to add material

Last edited:

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Ken i wouldn/t fret too much,this guy sounds like the mother -In-Law from hell. Probably used 3-6? operators to sort out a driveway that has no BASE and didnt pay ...Walk Away Reenee.

AlloaExcavating

It is fairly easy to grade a driveway with a dozer and create crown to it and not make a mess. It just takes lots of concentration and a quick hand to keep it smooth. Granted that winter would not be the best time to do this at all.

IronworkerFXR

Occupation
equipment repair
Nice G-man, my friend built one like that but last winter we added two hydro cylinders and a selinoid so we could rase ,lower or offset the blade and it crowns well.