• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grade level/slope meter for multiple machines

Welder Dave

I posted it in another thread but thought posting a new thread would be a benefit for other members doing slope work. I couldn't find a slope meter bubble level locally(or in Canada) that showed grade in percent and shipping and duty is ridiculous coming out of the US. I thought a digital level might work but all the ones I previously found were $200 and up to over $400. Then I stumbled across this 9" digital magnetic torpedo level. It has 6 modes including percent of grade, has a blue light if it's too hard see and can be set to beep when close to preset level and steady beep when at level. Not too loud but a nice feature. Good size display and works right side up or upside down with up to 60 hours battery life. It has strong magnets so I think I can mount it from the roof my tractor. If not I'll make a simple bolt on angle iron mount to stick it too. It should also work on the box blade and skid steer. You could also use it for fore and aft angle in a machine. It's actually made by Milwaukee and another great feature is it's auto calibrated. Can't wait to try it out.

EMPIRE LEVEL-EM105.9 | Acme Tools

Last edited:

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Let us know how well this works. I wonder how well the sensor is dampened for the shock loading that it will experience? If it is not capable of handling the constant vibration and shock loading, the read out will be constantly fluctuating. I've never tried an electronic type other than the Apache Laser Receiver that I sometimes use that will show minor side grade variations to ensure consistent readings when cutting grade.

I've tried several different variations and manufactures of slope indicators. Lev-o-Gage has the best selection, dampening, visibility, price and rugged design to keep me as a customer....unless something better comes along. Intrigued to see how well this electronic design works out.

Welder Dave

That's one thing I'm not sure about but for finishing I'd be going pretty slow. If nothing else I could stop to get the most accurate reading. I got mine for $85cad. which I think is a really good price. I think I could use the digital level with a large RV level and put a felt pen mark on the slope I want. Something like this that measures in inches out of level.

Rear View Level (Metal) (hopkinstowingsolutions.com)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
use that stuff with a grain of salt. I have a slope meter in my grader. This past week, I fine graded a road for asphalt. It's a secondary road. 5 meters from center to shoulder, with 3.7 meters of pave each side. It called for 2.5% crown. Around 6 inches fall from center to shoulder. The inspector is a surveyor, and wanted stakes for fine grade. I had the government surveyor talked into just giving me shoulder stakes, and a few centers for alignment. Done it many times, stayed within the quantity, and passes the profilograph, no problem. The blue hat wanted full stakes, string lining every station, including diagonals. Every passed station reads 2, to 3 %, once I float the road, it is closer to the desired 2.5%. Small holes or bumps can give you a false reading on a machine with wheels, my mauldin is more prone to this because it has 4 wheels instead of 6. The road has 4 turns. They all have supers, and 2 go up to 6%. In the high point on the turn, she reads 6%. It's on a hill, and if I was to take a cut at the shoulder, and turn to center, even though it's a narrow lane, it will climb to around 10% because of the change in position. On a main highway, the effect is worse because I can almost swing the grader crossways on the road. Long story short, be aware of your wheels positioning when reading your meter, Are you in a hole, on a rock, are you 90 degrees to the percentage of crossfall?

Welder Dave

As long as it gives a rough indication when I add more material. Once it's packed and the final levelling is done there shouldn't be any holes or rocks to worry too much about. I'll probably use some stakes too but an indicator should be better than guessing or having to get out of the machine all the time to check.