• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

gradall

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
Run one - yes

Do they work well - yes, provided you use one for what it does well. The range of work one can do is impressive, just don't think it is going to do heavy digging like a conventional. They handle powered attachments (hammer, mower, etc) quite well. Low overhead clearance work is another strength.

Do you like them - yes

telescooper

I have operated a Gradall for many years. They are excellent machines. Very versatile machines. One must be careful when transporting them, very bouncy.
Telescooper

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
I very much enjoyed my time on gradalls. Its been yrs ago, before wobble sticks were introduced.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
after years of running excavators, i ran a 4100 gradall. the damn thing brought me to tears in 5 minutes. waaaaay to different for me. that being said, a good gradall hand is a wonder to watch.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
after years of running excavators, i ran a 4100 gradall. the damn thing brought me to tears in 5 minutes. waaaaay to different for me. that being said, a good gradall hand is a wonder to watch.

Ha!

Now we know Q's weakness...

the Gradall! :Banghead :naughty :waving

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
we have one at the county with a shear, grapple and a couple buckets 2 ditching and 1 toothed

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
i believe its a 4100xl how do the single cab gradalls do ours has 2 cabs and 2 engines one for transport the other for the business end the guys that run it said about 35 40 top speed you want to go 63 i believe is the top speed they have had it to flat footed braced up to keep from being bucked out

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
Which chassis engine does it have? If it is the B series Cummins, they didn't have a lot of extra power, if anything is not right with the engine, it will be slow. :eek:

Or you changed the speedo recently and the dip switches aren't set for the tires on the machine.

They are geared to run in the low 50's. If you saw 63, must have had a tailwind.....

Which single engine machines, the truck mount or the RT machines? Same basic upper and boom on both. The RT machines are getting more popular.

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
You mean the RT machines then. XL3300 & XL4300, probably the most versatile machines they make. Use a Mercedes Benz 900 series engine. If I was buying a Gradall, one of the RT's would get a VERY serious look.

john1066

we have 5100 very useful on road jobs or day jobs when you need to drive out and do something its much faster at 50 than our two rubber tired excavators at 20

telescopicr

They have there place, just like anyother peice of equipment. They really excell with ditching as your usaully working underlines and around signs and stuff.

run one: yes

work well: yes

like them: no, i love em!

guysrus

The G3WD made from the mid 80s to 2000 are the best Gradalls ever made, Gradall went downhill when they came out with there new design in the 2000s , they are high maintaince and very poor visibility which is a major safty factor. Id recomend the single axle model as they can do just as much as a tandem and only have one engine to maintain and a lot more compact , overall they are very useful machines Guysrus

telescopicr

The G3WD made from the mid 80s to 2000 are the best Gradalls ever made, Gradall went downhill when they came out with there new design in the 2000s , they are high maintaince and very poor visibility which is a major safty factor. Id recomend the single axle model as they can do just as much as a tandem and only have one engine to maintain and a lot more compact , overall they are very useful machines Guysrus

The g3wd's are awesome for working in boulavard's and tight areas, great for city work indeed!

but what if you get on the side of the highway? i have enough trouble with the 4100's reach! or what if your one engine has a break down and your in a bad spot and need to move? I supose it comes down to what you are mostly going to do with it.

Ricnmd

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
I find my XL series 1 Gradall to be very good reliable machines. The manufacturer should have kept to the two engine Cummins powered design which saves you on fuel. Like to try a boom extension to extend the reach.

cwestfall

I have owned gradalls since 2000 and love them. I currently own a xl4100 on a truck chassis and a xl4200 on tracks. both with very little trouble. I had a g3wd it was a nice versitale machine but I had a lot of problems and sold it for a g660c and loved it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums cwestfall!

I am a Gradall fan myself but of the blue kind.:D Some of the best telehandlers made IMO.

Ricnmd

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
I have owned gradalls since 2000 and love them. I currently own a xl4100 on a truck chassis and a xl4200 on tracks. both with very little trouble. I had a g3wd it was a nice versitale machine but I had a lot of problems and sold it for a g660c and loved it.

hi....both of my gradalls are series 1 machines. One helpful purchase was a technical servece manual for these machines. It explains how many of the systems work and helps me troubleshoot problems.