• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS on scrapers

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I know there are a few scraper operators on here and I was sitting here looking though some websites and topics and just wondered if anyone has run pans with GPS on them? and how they like/dislike it?:stirthepot

Mass-X

I've spent a lot of time as a foreman on scraper crews, sometimes running up to 30 scrapers as well as support machines on a single crew and I must say I love GPS systems on scrapers.

Without them, you'd have to cut the number of machines by a third and double the number of grade checkers running around the job to keep up.

With the number of people these days that are very computer affluent I can take any operator who's spent some time in an ADT (tons of kids with summer jobs running ADT's around here), spend 20 minutes with them going over how to run the machine and explaining the GPS/Computer (most pick up on the GPS in no time at all) and have a decent scraper hand within a few days.

The GPS takes the guesswork out of grading and makes the job for the grade checkers and myself much easier.

When running scrapers without GPS, when you get down to the last 3-4' of cut, there needs to be a grade checker or myself (or even a very astute push-Cat operator) watching the stakes and the cut to make sure there's no over-ex.

With the bigger scrapers (631/641 and the 637/657) I've seen cuts of 5' turn into 1+ foot undercuts while my back was turned.

At Kiewit with efficiency coordinators monitoring the big jobs constantly, it's bad news if you're having to put fill back into cuts (nix the hope of the annual efficiency award with the all expense paid Hawaii vacation).:Banghead

Once Kiewit went to GPS systems on their scrapers it completely eliminated that problem. They're all about maximum efficiency and they're putting GPS systems on almost all of their machines to achieve that.

While the initial investment for the systems is large, they easily pay for themselves in increased efficiency, and less manpower required (fewer grade checkers and surveyors) to keep a big crew of scrapers running without problems.

Kiewit/PKS and Ames Construction, the two outfits I've worked for as a grading foreman [scraper crew] for are both in the process of putting GPS guidance systems on all their scrapers.

Trimble seems to be the most preferred system due to the support through the Caterpillar dealer network.

Also, check out this link and watch the video. It's a pretty good introduction to GPS technology on scrapers:

http://www.mcaninchcorp.com/gps.asp

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It sure would be nice to work for a company with modern equipment and a forward thinking attitude for a change. I am getting tired (literally) of running worn out junk for an living, working for a company that seems stuck in the
60's.....quite an impressive company.
alan627b