• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS and the Small Time Operator

Flewy_86

It works, basicly customize your own GPS system.

Without wanting to sound rude, how do you expect any operators of GPS Machine Guidance systems to 'basically customize their own GPS solution.

With all due respect, I would imagine most user's on this forum are experts in their chosen area of work and would have little or no working knowledge of the GPS or 3D mapping sides of things. And why would they, these are separate paths of work entirely, but can be brought together if managed correctly.

Why would anyone want to become involved in these systems if it requires a very steep learning curve in getting to grips with GPS usage and complex 3D mapping? Who wants the stress of all that when doing your normal day to day routine?

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on here about 'how it works' and some of it is way off. I think the manufacturers need to think long and hard about just how and what they are selling and the support they offer. It simply doesn't need to be this hard to offer this technology to all. I feel they are being deeply cynical in their approach to the whole marketplace.

Cheers, Dave Flew

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Dave,

It certainly requires going above and beyond your normal routine to learn how to apply grade-control systems. But as the profile of the company I posted earlier suggests, you make the effort because it cuts your cost of production dramatically.

Adoption of the technology continues to climb steeply, and I think the answer to your "why" question is very often, "Somebody I compete with is using automatic grade control and their bids are kicking my butt."

Other automatic grade control user profiles:

Kokosing's Support of Grade Control Improves Profits

Profits Reward Contractors Who Adapt to 3D Grade Controls

High-Tech Grade Control Hits Slipform Pavers

Grade-Control Systems with Added Dimension

Hope this helps,

Larry

Flewy_86

Hi Larry,

Just re-reading my post and I must admit I come across as a sceptic par excellence! The truth is actually the exact opposite!

I fully understand what you mean, I was trying to point out that just expecting people to find their own way with these systems wasn't really good enough.

I'm a Land surveyor with a good working knowledge of GPS systems and have been aware of machine guidance for several years.
I recently hooked up with Prolec and I'm setting up a complete one stop service to provide everything necessary to complete each job confidently.

I have taken a different tack to most by offering access to all my surveying, modelling and mapping background to each and every client if needed.

For example, I rent and erect and maintain the GPS Base used for each site, and ensure the RTK network it pumps is correct and working. I calibrate each and every piece of plant running GPS, so that everyone can rest easy it'll work well.

If you have plans that need converting to a DTM, or custom modelling, even the original Topo survey, I do it in house and ensure its working correctly, on every machine.

I supply and fit every kit and tailor it specifically for my clients needs, including either bespoke or off the shelf GPS solutions.
I'm currently working on a full Triple channel antenna set up with custom internals, to bring ultra high end GPS solutions to the man with a digger for a much more palatable price than current Dual channel antenna's.

I have used this system extensively and had enormous success with it, and I'll hold my hand up and admit i'm no excavator driver, a few days experiance at best, but it allowed me to working confidently all day long, producing pretty complex features.

I'm just saddened that GPS isn't as welcomed as it should be, but I think too many guys are feaful of making that leap, espescially due to the cost, because they feel they'll be left high and dry with it the first time theres trouble with it. Proper support, I believe would certainly help to get more people involved with this technology and enjoy using and reaping the benefits.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

t_dirt

Back to the original question!! There are very small guys, 2 dozers, 1-2 excavators, loader, any smal misc machines with GPS Systems. A base and rover are now around $20,000 to $30,000 and machines as low as $50,000. So $75,000. What if you can grade twice as fast? 1500 hours per year on a dozer in a small company, $100 per hour operating cost, so what if he get "2,500 hours" of work done(say 66% more), he saves 1000 hours at $100= That's $100,000!!!!
OK maybe those numbers are not perfect, but EVERY person who has bought GPS says that the pay back is much faster than they thought it would be..
Almost all Developers and owners will get you the file Acad if you explain to them that you will be saving them money!!!!

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Dgps/waas

Hello.

Very few people run Differential Global Positioning System, the system that is a fixed base run by the USCG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_GPS
BUT, a properly adjusted DGPS unit in conjunction with a base configured as the offset reference will give you 0.3 inch accuracy over its full range, up to 7 miles!
That is correct, ONE base, whatever number of rovers you want, up to 7 miles, .3 inch.
So, where is the problem?
Simple, who is going to set up an offset base?
This is a satellite receiver as well as everything else that a base does.
The answer is, there are companies that indeed do provide a subscription service.
But, the most advanced solution so far is only in the hands of the government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Advanced_GPS_Receiver
At some point this technology will be released to the public, just like GPS was, but for now, the most cost effective solution is to use a low power base and do a physical reference to it.